The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I built my first packet modem from a kit and ran it on my Commodore 64/Icom 28H. It was fun. I used a Microlog AIR-1 to run RTTY on my loaner Swan 270B (and got chewed out by my elmer for doing so!) Still have my C64 and my VIC20. My favorite VIC20 game was Radar Ratrace. In the late 80s I'd go to Kmart and buy VIC20 game cartridges for as little as $5 each.

2. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Load "*",8,1

N1YR, W7UUU and KY4GD like this.
  3. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, and if memory serves, it was just Load by itself if you were using tape.

4. W0JPR

W0JPR Ham Member QRZ Page

I started with a first generation TRS-80 when I was a kid. We even had the cassette player that went with it so I could save my programs. Here it is more than 40 years later and I'm still writing computer code. I ended up with that as my career path.

Some friends had the C64. Grandpa had a Vic 20. At least one person I knew had a C128. The games were fun and I'd like to go back and play them again at least once. Not sure I'd want to actually own one as I'd probably get bored with the games fast.

N9SOX likes this.
  5. KA5IGI

KA5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

6. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you know it loads the first file, only if loaded for the first time? Otherwise, it loads the last loaded file. This rule applies only if the device has not been power cycled between loads, though.

Also, the ",1" was to allow the program to load at the address it specified. Any non-zero value would work though, as I found when I mistyped 1 to another value.
    Correct, because the default device was 1, which was the datasette. LOAD, LOAD "*", or LOAD "*", 1 will do the same thing.

For me, I just use a Pi with an emulator. Much cheaper.

7. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had it. It was a lot of fun. AEA made Dr. QSO, too.

8. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OPEN 15,8,15,"N:diskname,id":CLOSE 15

9. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes, the first 15 can be another number, such as 3. Just make sure you CLOSE 3 as well. :)

Anyone remember Fast Hack'em, QCopy, or Nibbler? I was so happy to have a second drive then.

KY4GD likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a Timex Sinclair, you could run the pong program on it, that was about all it was good for.:D