ad: HamInsurance-1

The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bah, I still have a real 1983 vintage Commodore 64 and a 1541 disk drive. Spent many hours in my youth keying in programs from Compute!'s Gazette, playing games on it, and typing papers for school. Mom and Dad still had it boxed up for many years, sent it my way not too long ago. Bought a newer, more reliable power supply for it, cleaned up some dirty keys, and had to replace a flaky VIC II chip, but it still works great and still have the disks with many of the programs I keyed in. Found that all the old Compute!'s Gazettes were scanned in online, so I've keyed in a few more programs. Even found a box of NOS 5 1/4" double density floppies to save them on.

K2CAJ likes this.
  2. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have our old PET CBM 4032 with tape drive and issues of CURSOR! magazine on datacassette. It's outlived every other computer I've owned. Probably because it's so hard to pick it up and abuse it.

3. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I "upgraded" to a C64 from an Apple ][+ and went back to the Apple. Had a TI99a, Sinclair, Magnavox Odyssey with the computer cart etc. Finally pried away from the beloved Apple after getting an Amiga 500, then Amiga 2000.

But this looks phun, too:

https://ready100.com

...and hey, they have a "ham radio package" mentioned on their Kickstarter page. Looks like it consists of just a poor antenna and a RTLSDR, but at least they thought about radio...

4. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice I just finished refurbishing my OG C64, even put a pi1541 on it to run all the goodies.

5. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have
    The Sinclair ZX81 was my 1st computer. I have one here in kit form that I'm planning on
    putting together once I get all the upgrades I want to put into it as I build it figured out.

I also have a couple of Timex Sinclair's that I've been using to test my mods for the ZX81.

6. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to find an old Doctor DX cartridge to play!

K2CD and KS2G like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started out with a VIC-20.
    Expanded the memory to the maximum possible 11K! ;)

Upgraded to the C64 as soon as it became available.
    Used it for duping my hand-written contest logs, but never found a program that was "bullet proof" enough to handle the logging itself.

Most of the members of my local radio club were Radio Shack TRS-80 guys.
    They were always razzing me about being a "lone wolf" Commodore user, "with no one to commiserate with". :rolleyes:

Did an article on spreadsheets in the TORPET user magazine.

8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have one of the old TRS-80 laptops with the 80X16 display. I started on a TRS-80, I was a manager for RS for 35 years. Boy, BASIC was sure a lot easier that ForTran IV.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Show of hands...who still has their PK-64 that they used to work packet with their C-64? Mine is around here someplace. Many hours on 2 meter packet with that set up.
    [​IMG]

K2CD likes this.
  10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@K3XR - Yup, I had one.

K3XR likes this.