The C64

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by AB2YC, Apr 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Commodore C64 has been reborn; Look HERE for details.

It's basically an emulator running on a small SBC with a Keyboard in a C64 case.
    it outputs HDMI Video and will accept USB flash drives for storage.

While not as versatile as the original for the typical price of $129.99 it's a fun retro computer.

[​IMG]

KI5ONL, N3AWS, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cool! The C64 was my first really meaningful computer (prior to that I had a Texas Instruments TI4 and a Timex Sinclair, but they were largely useless compared to the C64). Ended up with 3 C64 units and 3 monitors, with 6 1541 drives.... woo hoo!!

I wish I had photos from those days

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, KA4DPO, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are some good videos with some info about it.

KI5ONL, N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

What, no Radio Shack computers for you?

K2WH likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Later! I had a killer Model III rig as a later addition to my "computer lab" - it even had the internal 5 MB hard drive!

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

The old C64. Had a lot of fun with that paired with my MFJ-1278 data controller. A lot of packet with it. It must have been around early 90's. I still have all of it on a shelf somewhere.

N4FZ and K2CD like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, 5MB is more than anyone could type in a lifetime!

Recently I sent a bare 32kB Model III out to circulate among the old computer guys.

C64 certainly won for longevity and huge variety of programs. I never had one, was Apple ][ and z80 at that time. But I'm tempted to get one of the retro C64s. Just for fun.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an AEA Pakratt PK-64. Used it for RTTY and VHF Packet around 1992 until I don't remember when. Listened to a lot of SITOR on the commercial bands, too. I can't for the life of me remember what I did with it. PCs took over my shack and I guess I either tossed it or gave it to someone cutting their teeth on packet. Great stuff.

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have mine. Worked last time I hooked it all up. :)

N4FZ likes this.
  10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@W7UUU - first PC I got my hands on was a Timex Sinclair too! I remember running out of memory on that within a couple of days. 4K, if I remember correctly? I borrowed it from a friend and gave it back and quickly bought a Vic20. Within a year, I bought the Guinness book of world's records #1 PC sold - the Commodore 64. I did APRS on it, I did some of the earlier file transfer protocols over VHF on it to and from a BBS someone else had up in the area. I wrote the club news letter on it for about a year. I learned the 6502 machine language instruction set on it. And, of course, traded pirated games.

I don't know what I'd do with this C64. It has USB ports? It has an HDMI port? It doesn't come with a wall wart power supply? I *know* it doesn't come with an Intel 6502 in it. Can't find what's actually in it. If a friend buys one, I'd like to play around on it for about 5 minutes and think, "oh yeah, that's right." And then get back to my 10th gen I7.

KD2ACO likes this.