"The Big Tent of Amateur Radio - Let's find a better way!"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5DNT, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

this thread sucks. every post is too long. i cant believe how much effort some people put into being miserable.

2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, where is the article wrong? Provide something other than it's all FUD to back it up please.

3. K0IDT

Yet you felt the need to comment.......it's your opinion and I can respect that but did it add anything to the discussion?

4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like an extreme view / analogy. Allowing HF privileges to a tech is like throwing non-swimmers into deep water? I find that deeply misleading and flat-out hypebole. It's not like operating on HF is going to put their life in peril as throwing a non-swimmer into deep water would.

It comes off more like wanting to protect over-crowding of the airwaves. ....which I completely understand, though it doesn't actually seem completely fair. Though, a more proper anology for that would be traffic on road ways. Maybe we should break drivers license down and not permit some people on the highways.

So my question is, why is there different levels of licensing anyhow? You are either licensed to be able to transmit or you can't. Shouldn't it be binary like that? I'm not a fan of the elitist view of I passed a harder test, therefore I should be able to transmit on frequencies you can't!

Get off my highway!

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Never assume that everyone actually reads the long posts.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, just like a newbie pilot with 50 hours in Piper Cubs should be allowed to fly hundreds of passengers in Boeing 747's in bad weather! What does skill and knowledge have to do with anything? ;)

For that matter, why even have radio licenses and issued callsigns? Get off my airwaves!

NL7W, W7UUU and K3XR like this.
  7. KM6PZQ

KM6PZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not exactly like talking on a radio is akin to flying an airplane. By burping into the transciever on HF vs 2m, I can predict that no one will met a firey death in the skies. What about all those mooks making noise on some HF frequencies. Those are all newly minted techs, right?

8. K0IDT

Wrong analogy. Learners permits, drivers license. endorsements for motorcycle (some states have separate licenses), CDL, and some roads have restrictions on what can be driven on them. Most interstates have minimum horsepower limits too, and stay off the bike paths!

KB4QAA likes this.
  9. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue is about technical competence.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Initially my reaction to this was, here we go again. This is a mishmash (my Grandmothers word) of 2 issues; Technicians getting HF 'for free' and WinLink. But I got to thinking about the 370K amateurs who would be on HF "with the stoke of a pen". Well, it's been a while so I found and took an online Technician exam. I aced the test, but other than rules and regs, I was not asked a question about HF operation. Nothing about the amateur bands in the HF spectrum, nothing about sub bands and modes. Nothing about HF propagation, and nothing about the components of an HF station. So from a practical standpoint, aren't we doing these folks a disservice by turning them loose on the HF bands? Whether you agree or disagree with the proposal, you have to admit that based on the question pool, HF is beyond the experience of a new Technician. If the FCC grants the proposal, how do we bridge the gap? And, should we expect to see an updated Technician question pool drafted simultaneously?

WE4B likes this.