"The Big Tent of Amateur Radio - Let's find a better way!"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5DNT, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

......Never Mind. :)

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

serveimage.jpg oh, wait. Wrong topic. Sorry.

KA4DPO, N2EY and KD9HLC like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

We should probably be fair to the League, at least as far as to say that there are several units at the League, some of whom are trying to be in support of AR, but they aren't getting the support of the leadership, nor from the legislative/regulatory advocacy groups.

E.g., the last time I talked to the RFI group, they tried to be helpful, but they are just "out of ammo," so to speak. Until FCC re-engages in the enforcement business, there aren't a lot of good tools for the RFI guys to use. But the leadership and/or the advocacy groups (which I'm having increasing levels of difficulty differentiating) are off focusing on other stuff, instead. The advocacy folks have begged FCC for over 30 years to pass a rule applying PRB-1 to CC&R. FCC keeps saying no (or just ignoring the continued requests), but the advocacy groups just keep butting their head against the wall. Meanwhile, the RFI issue continues to go largely unaddressed, and it was so badly neglected by all involved, that the service now finds itself without any meaningful enforcement at all.

If the League had tried the CC&R thing for two or three years, then moved to RFI for a couple of years, then back to CC&R, then back to RFI, at least they would be keeping the bases covered. Unfortunately, they got target fixation, and they keep chasing failed ideas to the neglect of other issues that are equally (or more) important to the service.

The League leadership/advocacy folks are now fixated on both CC&R and the Tech license. Both of those ideas have failed repeatedly before the Commission for many, many years, but they are locked on like a pit bull to a rare steak. Until they "up periscope" and start looking at the entire service, they are going to continue to chase failed ideas, and lose members, and lose credibility at the FCC. That doesn't help any of us, whether we are members or not.

And while this is all going on, the guys in the units that care (e.g., the RFI guys), are stuck, because they genuinely want to help when we call, but they just can't. And I feel bad for many of them, because I know them, and appreciate their desire to help, and it's unfortunate that they are getting painted with the same broad brush as their target-fixated leaders. :oops:

NL7W and AF4LY like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

But way to go on "thinking outside the box" there, brother. ;)

5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sigh... Yet another paper filled with fear mongering, and EOTWAWKI predictions...

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The guy said what I said, but it was inflated to PHD size. Same points I have made for the last 10+ years here.

WE4B, K0IDT and K1OIK like this.
  7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but what if he's right? I'll bet you didn't read the whole thing but still commented, after all that's the way of the Zed. Fastest way to get something off the front page, other than a lock post, is to not comment on it.

8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

It certainly was wordy, wasn't it? I bailed after the 15th paragraph. At least he USED paragraphs.

Ph.D. = "piled higher and deeper."

AF4LY likes this.
  9. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you would loose that bet... I did in fact read the entire post. It was filled with all sorts of misleading comments... Comments like:

"major changes to our hobby by unleashing compressed wideband data throughout HF that cannot be intercepted by third parties..."
    or
    "In WT16-239, the FCC proposes to remove the 300 baud limit for HF data and allow unlimited wideband data on any HF band, without providing any cure for the daily Part 97 violations. This is a national security concern..."
    or
    "...leading to potential extinction of the hobby on national security grounds."

All of which are just designed to inflate the imagined dangers of Ham Radio... I am sure that the many terrorists living in our very midst, will be sure to wait until the FCC allows tech class license holders the ability to use HF , prior to breaking FCC rules... The entire piece was written to enhance the fear, and not actually relate facts...

K7JEM likes this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting that you did not mention the ARRL website.

The article was well thought out and pertinent.

WE4B likes this.