The best mics for Icom 7300/7610 that work with a boom?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K8EA, Sep 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. I1WSM

I1WSM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Brian, thanks for the appreciation of my project, the name 2166 derives from the chip used which is the SSM2166 of Analog Devices which incorporates a preamplifier with variable compression and a truly formidable NOISE GATE, the sound that comes out is really excellent, all they come to ask what I'm using. It cost around 300 $ ready to use.
    73’s Silvano

K6LPM likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Symetrix 528E 'Voice Processor'. It's a single channel unit that includes a very good preamp (w/ optional phantom power), a de-esser, a compressor/expander, and a three-ban parametric equalizer. Most of the internals are based on common 4560 Op-Amps. The dynamic processing (compressor/expander) uses a THAT Corporation 4301 engine (datasheet). The 528/528E was produced for decades in a 1U rack-mount box:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Each section can be switched in/out or patched into as desired. I leave the EQ setup to dump LF & slightly emphasize HF. I leave it switched out unless contesting/DXing. I use the compressor to "flatten" the dynamic range. The expander is nice in that it dumps a bunch of gain when I pause. The receiving station doesn't hear me breathe, and doesn't hear any background noise. It works much smoother than a gate.

I may be slightly biased toward the 528E, since I worked in engineering for Symetrix. My boss at the time was developing the 628 Digital Voice Processor. Symetrix has moved on to other topologies. I see these units have been selling for under $300 on the used market.

When I built my desk & shelf, I cut a T-slot n the underside of the shelf, and fabricated brackets to hang my 528E:
    [​IMG]

K6LPM likes this.
  3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bryan
    never realized that you were ever in the audio industry.
    I was looking at that data sheet. Interesting device.
    I do some hobby audio work repairing Guitar amplifiers and misc. musical instrument sound reinforcement.
    Getting ready to start the NAMM show here in Anaheim.
    Currently I was just on the air using my 7300 along with the Astro A10 gaming headset.
    I just received another unsolicited compliment on my audio.
    The unusually inexpensive A10 gaming headset alone works great!
    My 7300 tone settings for SSB are as follows:
    TX-Bass +1
    TX-Treble +4
    TBW (WIDE) 100-2900
    TBW (MID) 300-2700
    TBW (NAR) 500-2800
    MIC GAIN 50
    COMP 5

4. N6RRV

N6RRV Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N6RRV

Is that a kenwood 870 i see in that picture?

6. WA7PRC

TS-850SAT (1 of 2)

7. N6RRV

tell me how the symetrix 528E worked with the 850?

8. N6RRV

is there an on/off switch on the 528E? Are you able to bypass the mic input by substituting a stand alone pre amp such as the Grace 101?

9. WA7PRC

Quite well, as I explained in post #32. The interface to the rig is accomplished using a homebrew setup to get from the 528E's balanced line level output to the rig's unbalanced microphone level input. :)

Between the two, when fone contesting, my laptop PC is added w/ a passive mixer. My K1EL WinKeyer USB has PTT outputs that also work w/ my logger program when on fone... I don't need to use VOX or MOX. :)

At Symetrix, I think the only product we made that had an ON/OFF switch was a 40W PA.
    The 528E can be optioned (internally) to accept line level input. However, it already has a VERY GOOD preamplifier. :)

10. N6RRV

Thanks for your prompt reply. I intend to use the 528E with the Kenwood 870. What microphone do you use with the 528E? Is there enough gain in the mic pre for your Mic.?