The best mics for Icom 7300/7610 that work with a boom?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K8EA, Sep 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the "SM-30" desk mic on a Icom 7300, and I am constantly getting compliments on its sound quality.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N4AWP

N4AWP Ham Member QRZ Page

The PR-781 works fine with my 7300.

K0UO likes this.
  3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I am using the original handmike of the 7300 , and it is realy hard to beat this 25 cts electret element in this handmike.
    A pop screen in front of it would do wonders.
    The 7300 realy sounds good , also the SN30 sounds great on the IC7300.
    Even found a few BM800 users sounding beautifull, but the Flex 5000 sounds very well also , why bother with the IC7300 if you already have a Flex that has far superior possibilities in TX audio.

73 Jos

K0UO likes this.
  4. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the informative reply.
    But now I’m curious, which headset do you use?

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Heil ProSet Plus (discontinued) but, there are MANY good units. :)

6. N4QLN

N4QLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Shure SM 58 dynamic mic on a cheap boom, get good reports. I bought 8 pin adapter off ebay that had the blocking capacitor to keep voltage away from cartridge.

7. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Electrovoice Re-27ND... sounds fantastic on every radio I connect it to, including a 7300 and old tube SSB or AM gear.

KW6LA and WW1WW like this.
  8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any electret, for the most part, sounds good with this radio.

VA3WPS and K7JOE like this.
  9. KD1GA

KD1GA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just purchased a 781 for my 7610 and I’m getting great audio reports. Search here for settings to get it sound better than the stock mic, I ended up with gain at 70, comp 1, bass 1 and treble 3. Alc peaks at approximately 80 percent of max. I’m using heil boom and foot switch.

10. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s your budget ..?
    There are $5 options that sound super. There are $490 options that sound super and lots of choices in between.

I occasionally use a $6 amazon gamer headset and it works very well. Also have used the BM800 boom mic all kitted out for less than $50.

The Heil stuff such as 781 works but in my opinion, is a way overpriced choice.

A 99 cent Ebay electret element stuffed into just about any old mic chassis works great too. Buy a few (10 for $10) pieces and experiment .. what looks nice and serves the function needed

The Yamaha cm500 dynamic headset works well and is used widely too. $60 or so

Dynamic cartridges need a blocking cap as icom imposes 8vdc on the audio line.

End of the day: You can only get a 2.9khz wise ssb signal to sound so good.

K8HIT likes this.