The best mics for Icom 7300/7610 that work with a boom?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K8EA, Sep 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to use vox and a boomable mic. Presently using a PR-781 on my Flex 5000a. However, I now have a new Icom 7300--great radio! I would like to find the right mic, preferably Icom that works well with a boom so I can operate vox. BTW, the hand held mic on the 7300 is fabulous. Everyone I have ever heard sounds great. I just don't like hand mics. I like to use both hands. And I don't like to clutter up my desk with a desk mic. and...I don't like wearing headsets. The long boom is best for me. Anybody have experience with this set up?

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Icon does not offer a boom mic, just desk mics as accessories.
    A great many people with the newer Icom rigs use the PR-781 that you already have.
    It has been discussed a lot in the IC-7600 user group and the winner is always the PR-781.
    Look no further!
    And get a foot switch!:p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here ya go.

Shockingly great audio quality:

41991676_1923927184577458_7251374658010742784_n.jpg

K7MH and N6QIC like this.
  4. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh wow! Does that picture imply that hams are now being allocated phone privledges on the 5000000 meter band?

5. WA0ZCW

WA0ZCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the BM-800 on the IC-7300. Sounds every bit as good as the hand mic. I bought it from amazon for $28.00, boom, xlr cables, pop filter, shock mount, all included at that price.
    Mike

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That reminds me of an old Mad magazine cover with Alfred E. Neuman soldering a splice in an AC line cord that was attached to the soldering iron he was using.

N6QIC, WA8FOZ and KE0EYJ like this.
  7. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2018-10-4_0-5-6.jpeg

N6QIC likes this.
  8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best is Mr. Microphone

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

On the rare occasion I'm not using a headset, I use a unidirectional dynamic microphone (RS #33-3038). It is/was made by someone else, for several labels, and sold for about $20. The response curve is VERY close to microphones costing ten times as much. I see lots of similar microphones are available that should work fine.

How good/bad a microphone relates a lot to how it is used and the room acoustics. Close-talking tends to emphasize the LF spectrum. Using it in a room w/o a lot of echo makes a difference. If you have a source of noise (such as a linear amplifier w/ cooling fan), orienting the null toward the amplifier will minimize that noise source.

I didn't want my microphone to take up any real estate in front of me, and I have a shelf above the rear half of my 72" wide operating desk. That meant I wanted a low-rise boom that could reach 36". I found a Hercules MS540B that fit the bill. I chucked the tripod and added a 1" x 12" pipe + floor flange to the front corner of the shelf:
    [​IMG]

The only downside is, I have to keep my lips in one place. A headset doesn't have that issue (the microphone is ALWAYS in the right spot).

K7MH and K6LPM like this.
  10. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was in Dayton, there was a DARA member who kept a Mr Microphone in his car. When someone stopped at a light next to him blasting the Radio, he'd grab the channel and capture the FM signal and tell the person to "Turn That S4!t Down!". He said it was lots of fun...