The best cup of coffee

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N3AWS, Jul 13, 2021.

ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I always liked the song that mentions Kealakekua
    "...where the humuhumunukunukuapua'a go swimming by."

N3AWS, N9SOX and KG4RRH like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My favorite mix these days is one spoonful of Community Coffee Colombian and one spoon of Sello Rojo, a Colombian coffee made in a '6 cup' cafetera.
    Mmm..mmm...good!

N3AWS likes this.
  3. VE6CLG

VE6CLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best cup of coffee? Not just the “what”, but there where, when, and who as well. The what is Kicking Horse Coffee “Three Sisters”. But it’s where, when, and who that seals the deal. In our sunroom, early morning, with my dogs, feeders teeming with birds, and the squirrel I have dubbed Cliff. Magic in the summer, less so in an Alberta winter.
    Cal

N3AWS likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Buckeye Donuts on South High Street Columbus Ohio has a great cup...
    Dunk one of their fresh made Old Fashioned style donuts in it for a really great snack day or night!

N3AWS likes this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Morning Call", Metairie Louisiana and several other metro-NOLA area locations
    Coffee/Chicory- hot steamed Cafe au Lait milk poured from locomotive bearing-oiler cans

Stay away from "Cafe du Monde"-- it's for tourists who don't know any better

Additional guidance for radio beginners:
    Starbucks has hoodwinked an ignorant and undiscriminating public, through effective and
    clever marketing, that "gourmet" coffee is roasted until it's nearly burnt. That is not the same as
    legitimately desired, by some, "French Roast" style which is roasted properly-dark.
    By roasting to near-incineration, inferior beans can be used to proffer an inferior product.
    And coffee drinkers, like some ham operators, are too insecure to say, "This $5000 radio
    is a piece of junk. What moron would buy this?"

For those visiting New England: Unlike the rest of the United States of America,
    "I'll have a coffee--Regular" means Coffee, cream , 2 sugars. Anything else should be
    ordered with explicit precision as desired, to avoid heartbreak.

Good luck out there.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    KG4RRH, K4NWD, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It used to be that when you ordered a coffee blond, it meant to serve it with two dashes of cream and two sugars in it; now that there are "blonde" coffee beans, there can be some confusion; it can be called a "double-double."

Speaking of which, ordering coffee isn't a simple affair--it has its own lingo: https://www.thespruceeats.com/coffee-ordering-terms-765329

N3AWS likes this.
  7. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N3AWS, AD5HR and WF7A like this.
  8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

See post #70

N3AWS likes this.
  9. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, I prefer homebrew. We don't roast our own beans, but we do frequent some local roasters -- wherever we travel. We grind as needed.

Our house blend is usually 1/3 hazelnut to 2/3 regular medium roast. Use the proper amount of fresh ground beans, but grind them one or two clicks more coarse than usual. Brew in a Technivorm Moccamaster coffee brewer. I have to remind myself that someone else might be there wanting a cup, as I can easily consume the entire pot.

If you want a high-quality auto-drip coffee maker, look into the Moccamaster. It is the only home drip machine that keeps coffee hot enough for me. After it completes its brew cycle, when you pour a cup, it still "crackles" as it pours.

KG4RRH and N3AWS like this.