The Behringer XM8500 Microphone - highly recommended

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio microphones are divided into two arenas, high quality sound or 'punchy' midrange. The Heil microphones used by many hams produce both sounds being punchy in the midrange or smooth (flat response) depending upon the model, but are expensive. If you want studio quality sound with a fairly flat response look no further than the Behringer XM8500.

Many hams wanting a smooth and flat response use a Shure SM-57 or a Shure SM-58 microphone at $75 and $90. The Shure are considered entry level quality microphones. Others use much more expensive studio quality microphones.

The Belringer XM8500 costs $20 and sounds as good as the Shure SM-57 & SM-58. Some report sounds even better with the slight midrange 'hump' that produces a nice crisp midrange. On the receive end the sound difference in-between the Shure and Behringer microphones really cannot be heard in any detail.

Bottom line is the almost miraculous for $20 Behringer XM8500 is an incredible performer for the money. The XM8500 sound quality will immediately be heard vs any hand microphone.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. N8FVJ

Hear the Shure SM57 vs Behringer XM8500 here:

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an XM-8500 with my FT-450D. It performs much better than the Yaesu's stock hand mic. I routinely get positive comments about my transmit audio with the 8500.

I've owned SM-57's and 58's forever, and used them for live performance for years. A 58 for vocals and the 57 to mic my guitar amp. In reality, they're my least favorite mics for live sound. I now use an AKG D-5 for vocals, and a Sennheiser E-609 to mic my amp. Both those mics are priced similarly to the Shure mics, and the improvement in sound was amazing. No more Shure mics for me.

4. VE3PTC

VE3PTC Ham Member QRZ Page

another behringer mic you may want to try, is the c1 studio mic. i have all kinds of heil mics here, and have also used the 8500. great mic, but for $50 or so, the behringer c1 is head and shoulders above any of my heil mics.
    only drawback is it requires phantom 48v supply, but full range audio with "punch".

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

People who buy racks full of equipment to transmit such a thin bandwidth are kidding themselves. ESSB is another animal, but rigs that actually receive it are rare, and ones that can transmit it well are also rare. 95% of the people listening to you will not be receiving you in ESSB.

You want to sound good? Follow correct mic gain and ALC practices. Listen to yourself over websdr, and get comments from a trusted ham who can give you accurate feedback per your rig's sound.

I am REGULARLY asked "what is your mic? and "what equipment you have in your rack?"

No rack. Mic is an XM8500 or a condenser headphone. I'm barely 5% compressed, when the compression registers at all. Oh, and running an amp or simply being 5/9+20db also sounds bigger/fuller.

Sold my Icom 7300, and will be putting my FTDX3000 inline, next month, after vacation.

6. N8FVJ

Smart move for the FTdx3000.

7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to "sound good", forget SSB and move to A.M.
    Even W1AW uses a Gates A.M. transmitter to "sound good".

8. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used the XM8500 for years on Kenwood's, Icom's and Yaesu's and the mic sounded great on all of them.