The Art of Cooking and other Domestic Faire

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K0DD, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had several fun and interesting hobbies I've been involved in during my life. I've been around radio since 1968. Also around that time I'd made an error being critical over our Mom's cooking. The next thing I knew my younger sister and I were cooking meals for the family most nights of the week. I pretty much learned cooking via trial by fire ! Literally.

Originally cooking was something I was told I had to do, then it was something I needed to do. Then I realized I could have a lot of fun experimenting and creating. I can take a perfectly spotless kitchen and destroy it completely within a couple hours.

Tonight was an "Italian Sausage Mustaccioli" for the first time as I actually have a couple different tomato sauces as specialties. I had a pound of unfrozen Ground Italian Sausage in my fridge that needed used... I thought how about something a little different tonight. This Mustaccoli was almost like a Lasagna as it was lifted out of the 9x13 casserole dish with a spatula and had a LOT of cheese in layers.

It's pretty difficult to keep my honey dearest out of the way as he likes to taste test things... Well who doesn't I suppose.... I season by taste as things are simmering. So I ask him make the garlic bread and ready that for the oven. :eek:

Anyway, I donated my old 16 quart stock pot to a charity yesterday, then right over and picked up a nice shiny new Stainless Steel Tramontina Gourmet 16 quart Stock Pot... Tomorrow that will be christened for the first time with a Pot Roast. I make a "Pretty Mean" Pot Roast and a Mad Corned Beef and Cabbage. The roast will be going in tomorrow about 9:30 AM and we'll eat whenever Craig can't take the wonderful aroma drifting around the house anymore and a taste test the Roast Beast melts in his mouth. :cool:

I cook with a gas range and utilize mostly Cast Iron Cookware, there's a few items that are other materials. The donated pot was a Mirro Aluminum pot. and There's a considerable weight difference with the new one. I also have a 10qt Tramontina also with a pasta strainer.

I realize these meals and stuff sound pretty common, however these are wonderful comfort food, and I place just as much care in common faire as with fine dining... When I need something BBQ'd that's Craig's Realm, but all the side sauces, and dishes are done while he's blasting away on the grill.

Anybody Else?

Erika DD :)

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever watched any of the 'cooking' videos on YouTube? If I could afford it I'd weigh something like 8 or 900 pounds. A lot of them are really very simple. Never even thought of cooking on a flat rock over a fire... but mercy, I do now...