The ARRL New England division campaign

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1OIK, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was recorded at Nearfest the largest hamfest in New England on October 16, 2021. Voting closes on November 19. There are three good candidates running.
    They sent out their forum live and got six viewers. Hopefully this will do better.
    If you don't think campaign's are important I changed my mind after hearing from the candidates.
    I would endorse one, but my opinion carries no weight.

W2AI likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty good.

But a Director needs to say, "Lights...camera...action!" to really be a director.

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Obvious wisecracks not withstanding...

There are quite a few people on these forums unhappy with ARRL Leadership (whether justified or not being another story). Some of them are League members; some of them reside within the New England Division.

If those folks do not take advantage of this opportunity to listen to what the candidates say, and then vote accordingly... then they have no grounds to complain.

This is their chance to effect change. If they decline to take it, then any further blame for what they perceive as the ills of the League are on them.

W5TTP, WA1GXC, W5ESE and 5 others like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's been the case for 100+ years. What makes it different this time?

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for one thing, most of these guys aren't 100+ years old.

N2EY likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It makes no practical difference unfortunately. I think some place way too much naive faith in a bunch of Board members who in actuality have little influence on the management and operation of the League.

K0IDT likes this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a life member but I'm not in this division, so I have no vote in this decision. If I was in the the New England I would have a hard time deciding on a candidate based on this video alone.

All three candidates are active hams in a broad diversity of operating areas and interests, as can be determined from readily available internet data bases. That would be my first requirement for any director. If you have no hands on experience in a broad array of what hams do, you can't adequately understand the issues that are important to them, even if explained. You can't put their concerns into any meaningful context without your own foundational experience. All three seem to meet this criterion, based on sources other than the video.

The changes I would like to see are such a radical departure from the way things are now and the direction the hobby and the league seem to continue to be heading that I don't see the slightest chance of meaningful change happening that will improve the future health of the service. I don't see growing the coffers of the foundations beyond any meaningful purpose and licensing every warm body with a pulse as being part of the solution to our current problems. Although I will say that the choice of the current CEO and recent changes in some of the directors was a small step in the right direction.

N6HCM, N2EY, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"When all else fails...two cellphones and spare batteries."

Actually, IMO the League has spent too much effort pushing public service, messaging, etc. and not enough effort pushing "it's just fun" and "stepping stone to a career in technology."

This book by Dave Bell explains it well, and I wish they would push that.
    [​IMG]

N6HCM, K7MH, W5ESE and 2 others like this.
  9. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

If this election were in Maryland, the winner would be whoever could get the most Silent Keys votes.

KC1NY, K1OIK and K4NWD like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

In some cases, the position of division director is uncontested....nobody but the incumbent wants the job.

In some cases, the candidates don't say much if anything of substance.