ad: k1jek

The ARRL Letter, Vol 26, No 04

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC0WCM

KC0WCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know i dont spell very well theres no sence in pointing it out and being rude if you read the post and understand what it said then theres no reason to be so picky I dont make fun of a person that cant hear or has a lazy eye if there not looking at me and keep asking me to repeat what i say and im sure they know there situation and dont like when people point it out to them.

2. K7LRB

K7LRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From KC0WCM: "em srorry em nout ate yor stndard ofe speillien . iell geo git my gruamre booke and strert studen!"

There is also no "sence" in being proud of a deficiency when you can do something about it.

de Larry

3. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If that is the case, then please explain why it is that now anyone who knows how to communicate by code is an evil old dinosaur who is trying to ruin radio for everybody? (And I'm not going to go into the list of other evil things attributed to those who happen to know an arcane but still used mode.)

4. K4JF

Not yet.

5. K4JF

"Now its time for the Whiners to help the New Guys on HF (No Excuses)"

I also believe in self-help. But we really should be helping each other.

6. KC0WCM

K7LRB Are you implying that im unentellagent  because i lack in gramer?

7. KC0WCM

For that matter there are 3 misspelled words in your post there Larry

checkining is checking
    accomodate is accommodate
    and condtions is conditions

Keep on correcting my spelling !

8. N0EEC

N0EEC Ham Member QRZ Page

In a way I am sorry they dropped the code and in others I am tickled to death.
    Dropping the code may bring onboard some idiots from 11 meters. (Hmm thats where I got started if i remember right)
    But then again listen to 14.275 and see if it dont remind you of Channel 19. Lot of Extra class calls involved in those childish games too..Yesterday the whole 20 meter band was quiet except for 14.275 where everyone wants to gang up on some Canadian station..
    Listen to 17 meter band also you will hear Extra Class operators playing 11 meter games..If the station in Wa is only sending a 9 S signal to his buddies in NC or Fl or I think its Az Bob cant remember their little CB handle they use for him...he will turn it up so he can get to them with at LEAST 20 S on the meter..17 meter isnt a big band and Yes they wipe the whole thing out with Max power.So what if it does bring more people like we already have?[​IMG]? At least there may be a few that will be there most of the time instead of when one of those Band cluttering Contest are going on..Ever notice how the DX increases during the weekend.Cant find a soul to talk and then a weekend comes up and a contest going on and they all crawl of their computers from Whining to say your 5-9 whats your name again and i didnt get your location ..Half of those contesters dont know what 5-9 is i guess.
    I hope for the Hobbies sake Banning Contests are next on the agenda..
    I have a hearing problem and worked and worked to pass the code.I think it would be fun to work but I just cant seem to get enuff to make it work well enuff to keep from having the other person send and resend.
    I know they have these machines to send and recv code but then again if i want to do it i want to do it on my own..I can send email if i wanna do it computer controlled.
    Enuff from me I am going to the Shack and listen to the Good Buddies on 14.275

9. N0EEC

N0EEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh and all this spelling stuff you are talking about..it looks like code I have copied..but i can read it:laugh:

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

from the above, we are living proof that lots of hams are in need of more than a spell-checker.This used to be a gentleman's hobby when people acted as such

11. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is all these old timers saying folks are dumbing down the hobby well you just proved the point of dumbing down. Apparently you have no self pride in your spelling ability so why should I think you would care about your radio ability? Problem is the ones that are bitching about the code going away and dumbing down are the worst spellers so who is dumber?

12. K7LRB

K7LRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC0WCM: See Mike? You CAN do it! Congratulations!!

de Larry

13. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams also didnt have the internet to hide behind. I promise you if we had to settle this face to face it would be more civil.

Speaking of NCT's, my buddy came up to me at my show last night and said, "im going to be joining you in ham radio" i said Great! my friend is completely tone deaf and not at all interested in code. ok, fair enough. but if any of you guys want to go talk to him about being a lazy slacker, go ahead, I assure you he has more certification abbreviations after his name than comprises his entire name, his job in the tech field has given him his second HUGE house, nice car, etc...he just bought some land and wants to get into EME, thats what grabs his attention, and he can do it!

He is one sharp dude...lazy is NOT in his vocabulary. his standards are very high, code is unimportant to him, its important to me, but he isnt interested in it. Will he be a bad operator? will he be shunned? he has already run across a farty old guy who gave him some (poop) about becoming a NCT...i wonder what this OT expects to accomplish, this thing may not be over, but it should be.

My buddy is coming into ham radio, he will be part of the next generation and i will help him. I wont try to discourage him, i wont look down on him, i will help him...the point? if you dont like how this whole thing turned out, then i would think you would be even MORE fired up to jump on the newbies in a positive way, to teach them about ham radios traditions and history. not shut them out.

I dont care about the nitpicky reasons WHY everyone is mad, all i see is that everyone is mad at eachother and nobody is going to budge...is this what we have become? moreso, is this how it will remain?

73...Adam, N7YA

14. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not you...just the code, no code, all code, never code, what ever code thing.

15. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

>I'm 24 and passed the code in mid 2006 4 months after geting my Tech licence.<
    How nice for you. You must be very proud.

>I'm sick and tired of this mess and all of it was very unnecessary. If the FCC hadn't given in, nonoe of this would have happened. And I think it's ridiculous that they dropped the 5 wpm test. I passed the test when I was 13 and that was 1 year ago! You can't make it easier than 5 wpm!<
    Thanks for your opinion. Why aren't you on MySpace instead of QRZ?

Code is gone from testing, get over it, get a life, blah, blah blah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.