ad: Morse-1

The ARRL Letter, Vol 26, No 04

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't the ten meter band effectively dead right now, as compared to peak cycle years? You need a KW and a 4 or more element yagi to play the scatter modes, although occasional F2 and TE propagation can be had for the deserving who scan the bands incessantly.

It'll be a year or two before the bedlam begins on this now upscale citizens' band.

2. NL7W

You'll notice neither Keith or Fred answered my direct question regarding the continuance of proving MIDDLE and HIGH SCHOOL level knowledge and comprehension of basic electronics -- as it applies to radio-electronics and hamming. Nor did they answer this one, "How do future hams address the state-of-the-art if they do not understand the foundational basics?"

Keith refuses to answer hard questions, and has done so for as far back as I can remember.

Knowledge and comprehension of radio theory and principles no longer needed! Get your license today!

Upscale citizens' bands here we come!

3. AD7BK

AD7BK Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if it is let be. I doubt it seriously in 2 years a rule making period must take place and it took it 4 years to get this far (From the international ruling change, to the nprm, to the comments, to the replies and to the FCC [​IMG] taking its sweet time to enact the change)

All they are doing is dropping code that don't mean they can add another means of testing, In Australia they actually test you for safety and proper engineering a station afaik. They can add some digital stuff, they can make the tests harder. They didn't say that stuff could be put in place for the loss of the cw testing.

Folks this isn't the true enemy, for that is within and BPL. T minus 10 hours 7 minutes till the change takes place.

Ten meters may not be [​IMG] dead for all we know people think it is.

Guys just accept the change and elmer them, teach the new ones proper use of the radio and how to talk and what to do. This way we don't get a "over glorified CB Radio Service"

This brings back memories to me. BE WARNED IT IS QUITE .. INSANE
    This link contains a CB WAR and contains SWARING I am giving you this warning to hold myself harmless. It is YOUR choice to click the link to the YOU TUBE recording of a example of the melting pot that could happen if we don't do things right. Thank goodness this dont happen on our bands. But CB these days in my home town isn't no where as bad as this is. It used to be though

4. NL7W

I don't follow your reasonings well. Neither here nor there...

But as far as 10 and 6 meters go, I do understand operations on those bands. After operating with stacked yagi's on 6M and 3 and 5-element yagi's on 10M over two sunspot cycles (in multiple locations due to military moves), I fully understand all propagation aspects regarding WAS hunting, DX'ing, and contesting on these bands, The 10-Meter Contest during the late eighties and early nineties was particularly interesting -- knocking off 47 states and 82 countries covering only a span of 12 hours operating time (1989). BTW, it took CW skills, a Henry 2K-X, and my 5-element yagi to fulfill the scatter contacts needed to get Midwestern states during evening and early morning hours from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Phone was fun also, especially into Europe and Asia during morning hours.

10 meters offers surprises -- no doubt. But, its limited propagation or openings spawn little interest (for me) when other peaking bands are far more interesting right now.

5. KB1SF

KB1SF Ham Member QRZ Page

May I suggest: "Nay Sayers of the world unite!" as a more fitting clarion call? That's because it seems more in line with your obsessive insistence that the world is now going straight to Hell.

But, just in case you missed it, Steven, the debate regarding Morse testing is over. The rule-makers have ruled. The issue of Morse testing was all over but the shouting on the 15th of December. And, now, even the time for the shouting has passed. Morse testing in the United States is now history and Amateur Radio in the USA will soon be growing again.

And I have absolutely NO doubt that our Service will far outlive the likes of all of us (including yours truly) posting here.

It is also important to remember that in Amateur Radio, as in the rest of the world we live in, the only constant is change. How each of us embraces and then accepts those inevitable changes in our Service (and our lives) in large measure determines who we are and how we interact with our fellow human beings.

I, for one, decided long ago to spend what's left of my life's precious moments looking forward rather than backward. That's because I can do absolutely nothing about what's in the past. But I certainly can (and must) try to influence the future because we all will be spending the rest of our lives there.

And, right now, I believe the future of our Service looks extremely bright. But whether the decades of "exclusive clubbing" that it has been subjected to over the years in the United States from the "Morse testing and incentive licensing forever" crowd can ultimately be reversed still remains to be seen.

Keith
    KB1SF / VA3KSF

6. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

First Steve we need to determine what it is that Amateur radio really is

Is it a hobby, or is it a training ground for the government to dip into for trained operators, to rely upon for technological advancement, rush to the rescue in time of emergency?

Can you cite for me when the demonstrated skill to send and receive Morse code was first imposed on all Amateur radio operators?  And why it was demanded. Or by whom it was demanded. And then relate any of those answers to:

a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
    b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
    c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.
    d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
    e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

OK I can admit that using “Q” codes with IMC you can have a basic conversation internationally and one assumes it was fun or pleasant for both sides of the QSO so there is a goodwill component to using Morse code. But, so much that a test was required?  How did Amateurs spread this goodwill before the Navy demanded the test?

Can you cite for me the name of the Last Amateur Radio Operator conscripted into military or government service to assist the nation’s strategic goals?  I can not tell you who it was but I can make an educated guess when it was. Had to be Korea war era or perhaps occasionally the CIA grabbed a brilliant radio dude for secret service during the Cold War

And while you ponder those questions, have you been paying attention in the last 20 years as the ARS slowly devolved in America's mind to a goofy hobby filled with grumpy old men? Do not rely on my perception. Conduct your own informal poll or survey. At the fuel pump strike up a conversation with another citizen and ask if they would prefer to take up RC model airplanes, Model Rail road, or Amateur Radio as a new hobby.   Don’t try to sell them on the ARS, just listen to the response and then converse about why.  You will be astounded I assure you.

This is perhaps unfair but a true perception that most of America's citizens know and think about Hams.  For most of my life I learned that eventually perception becomes reality for all but the well informed.

I can dig out at least 2 dozen test questions on the Extra exam that cover ideas and subjects well beyond middle or high school instruction or training.  Your perception may be different. The vast majority of public schooling is ever evolving and predominantly biased toward learning liberal arts subjects and social stuff as opposed to wrote math, physics, biology, or chemistry basic building block functions and rules.

I think the ideas Keith and I and perhaps a few others are trying to convey is that the basis for the construct of an Amateur radio corps in the early days to accommodate the Amateur Radio Relay League as an equal to the fledgling public broadcast systems and was later absorbed under government control when all spectrums of radio and distant communication were seen to need control and regulation; An obvious observation in my opinion. To not regulate this resource was going to lead to much chaos.

Only a few years after “wireless” became a reality, we found ourselves embroiled in the First World War.  The military, Navy specifically, demanded control of all RF spectrums. I believe the ARS was taken off the air during WWII also.

During those early years the Amateur Radio Relay League was providing a free service connecting urban East coast America with the wilds of deep rural west of the Mississippi expanses. The ARRL was appreciated and loved as much as the early rail road telegraphers.  At that time, we also had in our ranks the early innovators, experimenters and pioneers still alive and producing.  Many formed RCA, NBC, CBS and many others were the most sought after engineers and plain old operators for military needs.  So in 1934 when the government got around to all the regulation, laws, cabinets, and commissions we got a place at the table. This came at a price. Read the basis for the ARS then read carefully the FCC’s definitions of “service”.

2) Amateur radio services: The amateur service, the amateur-satellite service and the radio amateur civil emergency service.

4) Amateur service: A radio communication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

This is 73 years later. American society has dramatically changed, business has changed, Government has radically changed, and innovation is changing faster then most cutting edge scientists can keep up with. And we are so connected to all forms of communication, and the resultant advertising necessary to keep our consumer based economy running, that we are bombarded minute by minuet with images and ideas that we all deserve or are entitled to something.

Somewhere in all this, many folks have come to rely entirely on government to solve all their problems.

All these things conspire to cloud the simple truth Keith just posted above.

We are all citizens of this country; we are entitled to pursue happiness along with life and liberty.  The natural resources of this nation belong equally to each and every one of us.  We accepted, that to prevent chaos, and allow each a fair chance to enjoy our resources, there must be some laws, rules and regulation. We accepted decades ago the imposition of Morse code testing at the demands of the Navy because we collectively saw the reality of their need.  That need expired decades later but it still took dozens of petitions and more then 2 more decades to finally remove the burden imposed on us.

I see nothing wrong with the precepts for the government’s creation of the ARS and the goals of the entity requiring rational government regulation. I do not believe there was a conscious effort to pit us against one another into a cast system. Rather I believe it is an unfortunate side effect of the up or out incentive licensing idea.  

Rather then bickering back and forth about what constitutes a “real Ham”, who does or does not measure up, if or if not the tests are too easy or too hard; how about we all just try to live up to the Amateur code, be intellectually honest about or worth to the current American society, strive to set good example of polite discussion, really be good ambassadors to our distant neighbors, competently assist in times of peril locally, nationally or internationally, see the ARS as a road worth traveling, accept that some on the road will want to crawl, others will be happy just chatting.  

Shouldn’t a well written set of rules and any tests accommodate the desires of the maximum amount of American citizens to enjoy the Radio hobby?

Would it not be interesting if we have 2 or 3 million in the service? I bet with that level of American participation we could be a force with enough clout to demand the FCC effectively represent us to the ITU for increased spectrum. 2 million Amateurs (less then 1% of the population) would allow, by today’s current ratio, a three fold increase in public service and emergency management/Comms assets for our country.

I really got involved in the ARS as a variation of my RC Model cars and aircraft. A Tech license allowed me to legally use a 50 MHz transmitter. I bet Tower Hobbies has a MUCH broader customer base then 679,000 US citizens.

Don’t you think Collins, Heath and a few other classic American companies would still be in the Amateur radio business if we had grown at a similar rate as Console gamming, Golf, Model rail road, RC cars, or Model aircraft?  

Americans seem to have plenty of money and free time, so why do you suppose we are such a smallish community?  Could it be arrogant and snobby attitudes? Or is it just that we allowed the “perception” of grumpy old men with a goofy hobby to become the reality?

7. NL7W

Direct questions still not answered...

You keep spouting "code" was the only issue we conservatives were or are concerned about... far from the truth.

Meaningful written testing doesn't exist. Morse is gone. Licenses are easily garnered with little effort/work. Licenses mean much less to today's crowd, etc., etc., etc.

BTW, I've never held a club in my hand. An M16, M-60, and a 870 shotgun while wearing BDU's -- yes -- but never a club or an exclusive club -- whatever that is.

It's truly sad to see entrance exams become such a joke. Watered down testing hastening a now diluted and fractional service -- desperate for new blood at whatever cost.

Geesh...

8. NL7W

I just answered your post with my last. The real question is, "Does ham radio really need millions?" The answer is "No, it does not and never has." But perception, print, and elite voices are today's reality.

It's too late, though. Amateur radio has morphed into the new and upscale citizens' bands. Welcome the fleeting, less-involved, non-technical, average citizen. Welcome the enhanced and polished emergency communications mantra, the sacred message justifying the service's existence today -- for it certainly doesn't meet the past and current Part 97 basis and purpose statements. Progressive Keith has already pointed that out. He says they, the basis and purpose rules, have to change, too! Essentially, it's wanted and desired by the "liberal elite", and is craved by the dependent ham radio manufacturers and related organizations.

Quantity trumps quality today. The hobby was cleverly hijacked by those with vested monetary interests and others wanting handouts. Amateur Radio's lasting licensure integrity is bankrupt. It has paid the greedy ham related orgs and manufacturers with "green", and granted the lazy "gimme" crowd -- those communicating licensure handouts are warranted today -- with greatly reduced entrance reqs across the board. What else is there left to say?

9. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is This Still Going On ?

10. NL7W

I think it's over now. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.