ad: Retevis-1

The ARRL Letter, September 9, 2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW1ME, Sep 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7OES

KJ7OES Ham Member QRZ Page

All ours ever talk about is preparedness and chainsaw safety. Don't see what's so political about that, but it's probably different in other areas.

QUOTE="N1IPU, post: 5963917, member: 100111"]They are not politically correct. Same as politically incorrect are treated here.[/QUOTE]

M1WML likes this.
  2. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Snitch" implies that we have some kind of duty or obligation to overlook something. Nonsense. These people aren't my shipmates or my fraternity brothers or my neighbors or my cousins. They're rule-breakers, plain and simple. We've all heard them. If you break the rules, be prepared for someone to report it. At a time when the telecom industry wants every slice of spectrum that we have above 200 MHz, the last thing we need is a perception at the FCC and in Congress that ham radio is irresponsible high-power CB.

Personally I don't care what their politics are. Whether you're far right or far left, if you don't identify per Part 97, just get off the air.

M1WML and WG5ENE like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Open your eye's. These guys were reported for not having a stopwatch. Just the fact you mentioned your protected classes at the start shows hypocrisy.

K0MRD, M1WML, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Knowing how long it took to clean up 14.275 and 14.310 this activity must have been going on for 20 years or longer.

M1WML and N8ZI like this.
  5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL LETTER, September 9, 2021

"Licensees in Prineville, Winston, Silver Lake, and Roseburg, Oregon; Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Houston, Texas, were sent Advisory Notices concerning failure to identify, as required by Section 97.119(a) of the FCC Amateur Radio Service, pursuant to a nationwide rule compliance review of operations on 3.819 MHz and 3.953 MHz.

Are you suggesting our government would selectively target a group, simply because they prep for attacks by violent anarchists?

Suppression of ideas can't be a serious policy pursued by FCC or ARRL, can it?

Sure, AMRRON competes with ARRL for emcomm fame, and they promote old fashioned patriotism, but we can't just assume it's selective enforcement, can we?

"All of our scenarios involving a hostile force have been oriented toward large, organized criminal elements, violent anarchist groups, a foreign invasion, or an entity which has unlawfully overtaken the legitimate government. These are strictly hypothetical (but plausible and realistic) scenarios to enhance realism in training. They are neither illegal nor immoral. To claim otherwise is disingenuous."

https://redoubtnews.com/2019/12/john-jacob-schmidt-confronts-attacks-against-amrron/

Enforcement Bureau cautions - radio can be an alternative to discussions on social media:

The Enforcement Advisory says: “The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities."

https://www.kb6nu.com/fcc-reminds-us-not-to-do-anything-illegal/

The full enforcement advisory is available at: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-21-73A1.pdf

Media Contact: Will Wiquist, will.wiquist@fcc.gov Author of Vermont's Policy Petri Dish

Will Wiquist is Associate Director of Communications & Policy Advisor, Office of Media Relations at Federal Communications Commission.

"I support the bag fee idea. I think a 5-cent fee – rather than the 10-cent as was proposed in the Vermont Senate – would be sensible. Some of the funding should be used to reduce any possible regressive impacts perhaps by providing free reusable bags for low income families or fee exemptions for WIC recipients. Perhaps, some of the remaining funds could also be used to support Green Up Day which helps clean up the littered bags and which has reported financial troubles." -- Commentary by Will Wiquist, the former executive director of the Green Mountain Club, press secretary to U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, and senior campaign aide to Rep. Peter Welch. He has a master’s in public policy from American University’s School of Public Affairs. He lives in Burlington.

https://vtdigger.org/2014/03/11/will-wiquist-washington-d-c-vermonts-policy-petri-dish/

Gigi B. Sohn served as counselor to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, advising on a range of telecommunications and media policy issues.

The Open Society Foundations' Leadership in Government Fellowship Program was founded in 2016 to support former senior-level government staff in the United States who have recently left public service and have played a significant role in advancing social change from within government in the United States at the city, county, tribal, state, and federal levels.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/fellows/gigi-b-sohn

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  6. N1IPU

Yep, the new Open society. Open only if you think as they do.

M1WML, N8ZI, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh. I just read an article in the NYT yesterday about changes at the Open Society Foundation.

You prob need a web subscription to read it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/12/business/george-soros-philanthropy-open-society-foundation.html

What are the other big ones, Tides Foundation, Heinz endowments, by Teresa Heinz Kerry?

Funding NPR -- The Rockefeller Foundation;Tides; Heinz; Annenberg; Carnegie...

https://www.npr.org/about-npr/727982638/philanthropic-supporters

I think Open Societies just funds candidates and candidates who place OS operatives in government jobs.

People come from foundations to work at FCC, and leave FCC to work at foundations.

They end up making policy for FCC, and of course, they bring their philosophies with them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    M1WML and N8ZI like this.
  8. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! Ham radio wouldn't be ANYTHING if it wasn't for the pioneers of CB radio. Nearly everyone I meet started in CB radio and then went to Ham radio including me. My first two-way radio was a Uniden 505 ProXl. I still operate CB radio because I know in a disaster CB will rule locally cause every truck here in southwest Missouri has a CB radio antenna on the top of it. The more we make are opinion herd on Ham radio like CB radio the more those idiots in congress will hear us.

"Raise the standards . . . If the people lead, eventually the leaders will follow"

"Those saying it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it" - Chinese Proverb

M1WML likes this.
  9. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

10-4 !!

M1WML and KF0DHQ like this.
  10. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually extremely troubling. I have been in the mobile many times driving my car and talking on the radio. I don't sit with a stopwatch or look at the clock. If I ID after 10:30 instead of 10:00, these guys can send me a notice? Reminds me of the HOA folks looking over peoples' fences to find every possible violation they can. These OOs can FF off.

M1WML, N8ZI and (deleted member) like this.
  11. N1IPU

There is a special place in hell for ankle biters.

M1WML, KF0DHQ, N3FAA and 3 others like this.
  12. KF0DHQ

I believe I've heard these people before on 3.819 USB. I've heard them talk and it seems they lean a little to the right if you get what I mean. I wonder if these "VM"s had another motive in mind.

I also wonder how far off from ten minutes were the people on 3.819?

K0MRD, M1WML and N8ZI like this.
  13. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ham radio wouldn't be ANYTHING if it wasn't for the pioneers of CB radio."

Name one.

14. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

"SO HAM RADIO SNITCHES?????? I thought that ham radio operators have to stick together not snitch on each other because they forgot to say there callsign? The ARRL is useless."

I snitch for the "snitches"

15. KF0DHQ

Why don't you ask any old ham radio operator and say "How did you start in ham radio?" then you will have your names. They are the ones who started in CB radio then they went to ham radio. I know several personally.