The Anti-Elmer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0VRA, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe. But no body has ever turned up.

Perhaps Leo Burt and D. B. Cooper are the same person....or met similar ends.

Or....maybe.....he got away with it.

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

My step-grandfather, during his lifetime, had been an autoworker, a heavy-weight boxer, and, for a couple of decades, the bodyguard of a well known Detroit labor leader. Also, at some point, he had also been a chef!

Al insisted that the boys learn how to cook. He was BIG, not fat, BIG! No one argued with him except for my grandmother. So, we learned how to cook! The truth be known, Al was a "pussycat"! I don't think he ever hit someone in anger. However, due to his physical size, no one even thought of arguing with him.

My mother taught me how to sew, do laundry, and even iron. In college, this proved very handy. There was a coin operated laundromat next to campus and I would go there, wash, dry, then iron my clothes. The laundromat had several ironing boards and irons available. However, even though a goodly number of students washed, and dried, their clothes, very few bothered to iron them.

Around the fraternity house, a few of the "well off" brothers sent out their clothes to be "professionally" washed, dried, and ironed. But, most of us couldn't really afford this service. However, my clothes always looked as good as those "professionally" done. Finally, several fraternity brothers wanted to know why my clothes looked pretty good. So, I had them bring their laundry to the laundromat and showed them how to really use the washer and dryer. Then, I taught them how to iron. Yes, it did take a bit longer to iron the clothes. But, the clothes looked a lot better on the person and, in general, actually lasted a significant longer period of time before needing to be laundered again.

Glen, K9STH

N4AAB, WD3N, N5PAR and 1 other person like this.
  3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Give man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to iron a fish...

4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steamed cod?

WZ7U likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Iron fish? Sounds like a Marvel Superhero.

W0VRA and WZ7U like this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I, too, was fortunate that my mother and grandmother taught me some valuable life lessons. Although I do have my shirts taken care of by the local dry cleaner, I have the skills to iron them, when needed, on business trips. Ironing isn't really difficult, but it does require some skill. Life lessons are so important for those younger than us to learn.

7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Auntie Elmer? Was Auntie Elmer once Uncle Elmer?

8. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Son left for college with the knowledge of cooking, doing laundry, change a flat tire, etc. Since he was at Sam Houston State just up the road a number of his fellow classmates he grew up with were also enrolled at Sam Houston. Like you Glen he ended up teaching several of them basic domestic skills.

9. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

In my book, a great American.

KA3CTQ, N4AAB, N5PAR and 1 other person like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

You might also admire the accent talents of Amy Walker: