The Anti-Elmer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9HLC, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Saara is incredible. I'm no longer able to carry on conversations in Finn or Swede, but I can still comprehend what is being said. She speaks those languages with a native accent, along with 18 others!

W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  2. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, great image... :) Particularly when they would crash their computer when a bigger mucky-muck was talking to them.

N2EY likes this.
  3. N4AAB

I did think about taking typing at university, 1980s, but since I weekly used 4 different keyboard layouts; Function, arrow keys, etc. were differewnt; I didn't see the need.

Besides, too fast typing on a big computer's console terminla can cause major problems, and a short career in computers.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

86? Blah, blah, blah. It's 99 we want to hear about! :p

KA3CTQ, W2AI and W5TTW like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Textbook example of "systemic discrimination". Nobody comes right out and says "girls can't use tools"....but the system is set up against them actually doing so. All this despite the example set by enormous numbers of "Rosie The Riveter" women during WW2 - and since.

Fun fact: Queen Elizabeth II was a "driver" during WW2 (when she was Princess Elizabeth). In those days being a "driver" meant you had to be able to work on the vehicles as well as drive them. She has driven motor vehicles ever since - although since becoming queen, her driving is limited to closed courses.

Some years back, the king of Saudi Arabia came to visit. Women weren't allowed to drive in that country at the time (I don't know what the law is now). The king met the queen at Balmoral Castle, an estate of about 50,000 acres which is the queen's favorite royal residence.

After the usual greetings and formalities and such, there came a point where the queen asked the king if he'd like a tour of the estate. He said yes, and she had a Land Rover brought around. They went out to the car, the king got in - and the queen got in behind the wheel, and drove them all around the estate, explaining the history and the various parts.

Made her point, she did.

I recall a lad, more than half a century ago, whose mother insisted that he learn to cook, clean, sew, do laundry, etc. When he protested that it was "girls' work", her response was "who do you think does the cooking, cleaning, sewing, laundry, etc,, in the US Military?

I graduated HS in 1972, and things hadn't gotten that far yet. I think I had the same chemistry teachers as Leo Burt, though.

Yes.

And there were folks who opposed every change, every inch of the way.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A tribute to CONTROL Agent 99...……..

W4NNF likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's what I'm talkin' about! :)

8. W2AI

You might like this also, Rod:

The Adventures of Connie (Agent 99) and Floyd (Agent 86):

W4NNF likes this.
  9. W2AI

Most likely, this fugitive is deceased by now. Living life "on the lam" is quite difficult since one is using an "alias" to avoid detection and without a verifiable documented background.

10. N4AAB

My parents made sure all of us could handle living alone; we can cook, wash dishes correctly, do laundry, and dry clothes, sew clothes if we need to patch them, mow the lawn, clean a toilet and tub, plunge a toilet/WC so it drains, build a shelf out of lumber measuring and cutting it ourselves, etc.