The Anti-Elmer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0VRA, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I was told that I couldn't take Latin. The school system only allowed students who were going to be doctors, lawyers, etc. who used that language could take it. The rest of us took formal Spanish. No one I ever spoke Spanish with, outside school, understood most of what I said. My parents told me years later they thought the rich kids ook Latin, and the rest of us took Spanish. I don't know myself.

Typing the same, only girls, and at community college, women, could take the class. My sister wanted to take shop in high school, they wouldn't let her, she wound up in home economics. Our mother taught her to cook better than that class did.

I grew up on the poor side of town, and we were also a military family. One school principal actually told my parents and I that was the real problem, poor and transient. At university, I decided what electives I was going to take. I took a class in AutoCAD, two anthropology classes, and one archaeology class. It took some convincing the advisor on my part, but I did take them.

Most every where I have lived people were shocked I read books not required by class. Not sure of the exact numbers, but my siblings decided about 20 years ago i had read around 8,000 to 10,000 books. Retina problems since then slowed me down. I cannot read a 300 page novel in 3-4 hours anymore, but I still read.

2. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Most companies I worked for did the same. Egos over everything else.

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve seen that happen at places I’ve worked at in the past... engineering firms, hospital, and so forth.

Often, a new hire in certain positions... Vice Presidents, outside sales staff, department heads, and so forth... insisted that due to their position, THEY had to have the latest & greatest. And got them. And then barely used them. It was all window dressing based on their position, nothing more.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been almost 50 years since my last Latin class. I can honestly say that it wasn't useful at all. Being able to touch-type would have been MUCH more useful.

This wasn't a public school, so there was no questioning of their policies. If you didn't like it, you could leave. Except our parents had been brainwashed into thinking that we'd turn into degenerate juvenile delinquents if we went to public school. Truth is, the public schools of that area at that time were as good or better.

Looking back, it seems to me that the policies were partly driven by the fixed ideas of the time (including social class and gender roles) and partly by resources (they had lots of teachers who could teach Latin, but not lots who could teach typing.)

A bit of trivia about my high school:

In 1970, four radical activists set off a truck bomb at the Sterling Hall building on the University of Wisconsin campus, killing 1 and injuring 3. They thought the building was empty at 3:42 AM, but it wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Hall_bombing

Three of the bombers were caught and spent time in prison (one served 7 years, the other two 3 years).

But the fourth bomber has never been caught. If he's still alive, he's 70 years old now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Burt

He graduated from my high school - class of 1966, IIRC. Funny - the alumni newsletters never mention him.

AF4LY likes this.
  5. N2EY

Also image.

6. N2EY

wow!

I never encountered any of that - but that doesn't mean it wasn't going on.

----

People today sometimes ask how such things could go on for so long and not be reported. They do not realize the fact that, in those times, there were people who were simply not questioned. Victims of abuse knew they would NEVER be believed if they spoke up. A kid's word against a priest's or a nun's? Might as well claim to be able to flap one's arms and fly away.

All that would happen is that the victim's life would be made even worse for making "false" accusations. And the victims knew it.

----

Any school that can pick and choose their students can have better results than schools which must accept everyone who applies.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing how times have changed, in so many ways. I was born 1961 and by the time I hit Junior High in 1973/74, girls were finally allowed to take shop - but it was very very rare. I was just head over heels over a girl Christina Egge, and how she could work with tools LOL :D But she was the only girl in shop all three years of Junior High.

About 9th grade, boys were starting to appear in "home ec" and needless to say, given attitudes of the day, they were all assumed to be gay. Absurd to think that now - Gordon Ramsay, Bobby Flay, and a host of other very straight men have built empires on concepts learned in "home economics".

Typing was different - by 1974, the coming age of computers was just on the horizon, with all the ensuing need for "data key entry" - an "engineering field" thus perfectly fine for guys as well as girs (who of course would be thought of as becoming secretaries LOL).

Thank goodness I could take typing. I only took "Typing 1" but left with the skill of 65 WPM on an ancient mechanical and over 100 (maybe 120?) on an IBM Selectric.

Yep - times really started to change in those years

Dave
    W7UUU

8. N2EY

Finnish?

How about Saara?

AF4LY and W4KJG like this.
  9. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

W4KJG likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve entertained the thought of maintaining a “Jerk” log. I know it’s not required.....but it may help by providing a list of people to be avoided!