The Anti-Elmer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9HLC, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

So there is a caricature of a prototypical variety of Zeddite (is that a word?).

He's old, probably over 70. He's had his ticket for decades, maybe half a century. He can send and copy 20 WPM in his sleep. When awake, gusts of up to 40 WPM. Nothing wrong with any of that; it demands a kind of respect.

But he's opinionated and stubborn. He gives unsolicited advice, often looking for a chance to get on his hobby horse. He uses appeal to authority, mostly himself. He wants you to get off his lawn and off his frequency. He doesn't think that operators who are younger, not been ticketed as long, don't know code, were tested by VEs or so forth, are lesser hams or not really hams, if not lesser human beings. These traits are not so desirable.

So I'm familiar with the terms Elmer and lid. Is there a nickname for the curmudgeonly old timer ham?

KM1H likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some are, some aren't. People are different. Doesn't really matter what field of endeavor.

Good folks, bad folks, annoying folks, helpful folks, happy folks, crabby folks, can all be: young, old, male, female, experienced, inexperienced.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4RAV, KC2SIZ, KA9MOT and 8 others like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a name for a no code, know-it-all, noob ham posting trolling threads?

W9RAC, N5DMC, KE5OFJ and 12 others like this.
  4. KD9HLC

Exactly.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You seem to be a "one note pony"

"What?! Are you suggesting that there may be a correlation between knowing code, operating CW, and elitisim? Inconceivable!
    1. KD9HLC, Today at 8:19 AMReport|"

6. KD9HLC

Arvo.

But really, I'm not trying to troll.

Most people around here are really nice and helpful; I've learned a lot and enjoyed the interaction.

I've enjoyed the interaction with the curmudgeons, too. They're a lot of fun.

7. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes- KK4YWN.

8. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

geezer, soon to be a goner. it's classic old coot behavior and applies equally to all walks of life.

9. KD9HLC

Yeah, sorry about that. I noticed that, too. Part of the reason for the question is to compartmentalize that observation.

10. WD8T

WD8T Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes- Anti-Elmer.