The AM Rally Returns! February 1-4 2019

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Dec 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many big guns making long buzzard transmissions, taking over the frequency and not "inviting" other breakers who are sitting on the sidelines trying to get contacts.

K0OKS and K6CLS like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen handled it well and didn't let anyone person go too long. And he announced when he had completed talking to the last contact so you could announce your call letters.

I heard W1AW talking to quite a few west coast stations later when the band went long.

Pheel

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

And for Gosh sakes, tune up into a dummy load and fix your technical problems before getting on the air.

Pheel

W8KHK and K6CLS like this.
  4. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried calling CQ on 160 Friday evening but didn't have any luck. I'm only good out to a couple hundred miles on that band. I couldn't hear W1AW that well on 75m but I did hear the pile up.

W2VW likes this.
  5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, this was my first time operating the event. Didn’t spend alt of time, about 1 1/2 hours this morning. An awful lot of guys from AM nets and guys that talk to each other on a regular basis rag chewing. I agree, lots of guys spending lots of time tuning up. I have not been on AM in 4 decades but did have fun making a dozen contacts using my DX 60 / HG10 and HQ140 which up till now had only been used for fun on CW mostly around the SKCC frequency. 75 was painful with the rag chews, 40 was better and 20 was the best though the few stations I worked were using modern equipment on 20.
    I also made 2 QSO’s on 50.400.

Will I participate next year, most likely I will but I’ll stick to 40 & 20 unless 15 & 10 have propagation.

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, its not a contest.
    I agree though, some people make very long transmissions, not always having something to do with the topic or rally.
    The really large turnout caused some lack of space on the bands as well.

W8KHK likes this.
  7. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Called it a wrap a little bit ago. Worked 20 stations, 18 on 75 and 2 on 40. Gave the 814s×811s a workout. The 807×811s combo got a little time on 40. One thing to note is most of the activity i worked was about equal between modern equipment and vintage equipment. Only one other person i worked was running a homebrew rig. Most of the stations i worked were in the 100 to 200 watt range, not a lot of big signals but the conditions were good enough that they could be heard.

8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

W1AW 3885 AM

6C4180F5-C3A3-4927-BEBF-7296B3A758B3.jpeg 0C745A71-7997-4EC5-9840-5269EAE5137B.jpeg D53359D3-AEB8-4656-9758-067454CC3C88.jpeg 4013DB2D-1FC2-4B83-AD75-992B1CC93D6D.jpeg

W8KHK, KE5OFJ and WZ5Q like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, that was kind of my impression. It's a good event but it's like it can't make up its mind whether it's a contest or a rag-chew fest. Given the limited bandwidth of gentleman's agreement AM segments and the width of AM signals, you get two, maybe three strong signals having a rag chew and that band is out of play for anyone else. And the other thing as I mentioned was that it seemed to me that all the guys with modest signals and gear were calling the really loud stations and never each other. I couldn't bust through to the loud guys much. I DID hear a lot of the weaker guys they were talking to and I'm reasonably sure many of them would have been able to hear me too, but it seemed to turn into two or three pile ups around the loud guys.

I don't see an easy solution to these things but it was fun. Three whole contacts and I spent several hours. ;) But heck, there's still, what, an hour and a half left. I'm about to head downstairs to watch a movie and the ham shack is in the next room. Might make one more!

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe not everyone operating AM over the weekend was operating in the Rally, or whatever its called. Suggest we rethink the assumption that anyone operating AM is by default in the operating event. I had a lot of stuff scheduled so I couldn't really participate until Sunday so I went with my usual winter routine, which is to operate on around 1880 kc at night.

I finally did get some clear time on Sunday around 3 p.m. so I got on 75 m. looking for all the AM I'd heard about, the pileups and so on, and heard a couple of distant guys on 3880 and that was it. I figured the whole thing had ended, and called CQ on 3886 and worked a few guys in the northern Midwest and called it quits. Called CQ later around 8 p.m. on 1880 and got no takers. Went to bed. As far as I could tell, the whole thing never happened, except that after about an hour on 75 m., a couple of fellows showed up still operating in the Rally so I knew it was still going on.

If the AM Rally devolves into another QRMtest, "You're 59, I'm 59, everyone is 59" which is anathema to AM nowadays, I'll move on and wish all the annual AMers a good time. Regardless, I'm not going to change my operating behavior just because some AM event or any other kind of QRMtest is going on. That dog don't hunt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019