The AM Rally Returns! February 1-4 2019

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Dec 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

REAL chili has no beans!
    Beans are a side dish to chili. (at least in Texas)
    Jon

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's make sure there is activity on 160m. As a consequence of the dearth of AM presence on the usual frequencies lately (despite 75m propagation going long many evenings), slopbuckets are gradually edging in to fill the vacuum. Use it or lose it.

1880-1885, 1980-85, 1945, plus anywhere else you may pick to have an AM QSO. When 75m goes long, expect 160m to be at its best.

W7UUU and W2VW like this.
  3. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Things seem to really be going on 75 right now. Brian KB3WFV is holding court from W1AW on 3885 right now. The band was running long to the south and Midwest but seems to be pulling back in now. Hearing a good bit of stations within 200-300 miles now.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Really enjoying hearing all the AM activity already! Listening on my wonderful HQ-180 receiver and just love the sound of AM :)

I hope to be on HF AM in the coming months, as my new shack slowly comes together.... will be my DX-60b/HG-10 paired with a Drake 2C or my Globe Scout 680/HA-5 VFO and HQ-180. Hope to have both rigs on the air on AM soon

Dave
    W7UUU

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yall come down to 3,705 kilocycles and get out the getto.

Pheel

6. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was holding 3869 to myself for over an hour and a half, lots of good signals. Think i have about 12 contacts in the log so far. The 814s modulated by 811s sure is doing a good job and holding up well.

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I managed to get the DX-100/Mohawk up and running, though I hadn't actually connected anything until tonight. I managed two contacts. :( Lots of signals but lots of noise, and one SSB QSO plopped right on 3990 when there was plenty of space up-band. Thanks for nothing. That was "slopbucketing" all over my QSO with W0PV but I still managed to complete it - I think. Earlier I made a contact with Bob, AB4AM in Dawsonville GA who was just about to bend my S meter even with the RF and IF gain both cranked down to accomodate the gawdawful noise on 80 at my house and the other signals. While talking to him I kicked the circuit breaker for the ham shack - sorry I disappeared Bob. I noticed earlier in setting up my AL-811H for CW/SSB that I can't run two of the basement space heaters and the amp at the same time. Well it seems I also can't run two of them plus a DX-100 key down and a Mohawk. Reset the breaker and turned off the heaters.

Then in the midst of calling CQ later I popped the 8A fuse in the DX-100. That should NOT have happened (assuming that's the right fuse - need to check the manual.) I was watching plate current on voice peaks - but then the rig is completely new to me and the audio/mic gain seems VERY touch.

Oh well, that was my queue to pack it in for the night. I'll try to get on earlier tomorrow night.

I did hear W1UUU booming in on 3885 and running a string of contacts, virtually an AM Rally pile up, and at first did a double take at the extremely strong signal because I heard the "UUU" and thought Dave was that strong from out west on 80! Then it hit me - uh, oh yeah, he said whiskey ONE... :D

W1TRY and W0PV like this.
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The original had a two wire line cord with a fuse on each side (!). Someone has wisely replaced mine with a proper 3 line cord and fuse in the rear of the unit on one side. Heathkit did indeed specify 8 amps, though one comment I found online said they seemed to have copied that from the Johnson Valiant. One poster I saw said he has 6 amp fuses in his. Hmm, maybe I was driving it a little hard. In any case, I'll run to Fry's or Microcenter tomorrow and get some, probably stay with 8 amp unless somewhere here suggests otherwise.

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a slopbucket dead air group. They think monitoring the frequency is using it. "Oh no! Someone is using our frequency!"
    Hire an electrician to run a few more circuits to the shack. It will cost something sure, but going forward, you'll enjoy operating much more for years to come. Make one of the circuits 240 v. 20A.
    Your best friend is an oscilloscope that you can use to monitor your carrier and modulation. A plate current meter is okay for carrier but it won't respond rapidly enough to give you any idea of modulation, and your final PA plate current meter shouldn't move with modulation anyway.

Keep moving down and you'll arrive at 1880. Winter nights and 160 m.

10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Help make AM stand out!

While keeping a log isn’t a requirement, those who submit logs help us document the popularity of the AM mode, and leaders in the following categories and classes will be recognized. Either way, it’s helpful to mention your station’s category and class as a benefit to others.

Your station falls into both a transmitter category and output power class as shown below:

Rig Type Categories (A-I)

A) Vacuum tube / Commercially made
    B) Vacuum tube / Home made
    C) Solid State / Commercially made
    D) Solid State / Home made
    E) Hybrid / Commercially made
    F) Hybrid / Home made
    G) Converted AM Broadcast
    H) Military
    I) Software based/defined (SDR)

Output Power Classes (1-5)

NOTE: This is the measured power of the unmodulated carrier at the output of the final stage of amplification.

1) 5 Watts or less (QRP)
    2) Greater than 5 up through 30 Watts
    3) Greater than 30 up through 100 Watts
    4) Greater than 100 up through 250 Watts
    5) Greater than 250 Watts, to the FCC legal limit

For example, W1AW is a “G5” station that uses a Gates BC1T transmitter running over 250 Watts.

What type is your station? Be sure to mention your type of station when making contacts!

You can download the AM Rally Operating Info document to help identify the stations you work here and for locating popular AM operating frequencies:

http://www.amrally.com/docs/Operating_Info.pdf

Have fun in the operating event and thanks for helping promote the AM mode!

W8KHK likes this.