ad: vanity

The AM Rally Returns! February 1-4 2019

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N1BCG, Dec 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought this pair almost exactly a year ago from Bob, KB4A, here on the 'zed and I finally got around to getting them up off the shack floor and set up on my to-be boat anchor position. My back may never be the same, but they're ready to hook up. With enough luck to find just a few minutes this weekend I hope to be on for the rally next. Nothing is actually connected yet except the D-104 which was so trivial to do for the photo, but I should have everything I need. I got a changeover relay from him too and he was nice enough to throw in a box full of spare tubes and demonstrated both in action at the time, the last time they were hooked up, so I should be good to go.

DX100-Mohawk_LR.jpg

W0PV, W7UUU, KC2DHU and 1 other person like this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice looking DX100! Hope to hear you on the air with it.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to make some AM QSOs on 20 meters. I'll check that out, as well as 14.286.

N1BCG likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I will try to activate the SS Red Oak Victory K6YVM. We'll use the National rig and perhaps the Kenwood TS570.

The National is as old as me. It has xtals for 160, 75, and 40 meters. Last year all QSOs made on 7293.

The ship is docked in Richmond, California, grid CM87. I'm thinking Saturday and maybe Sunday, something like noon to 3pm local.

N1BCG likes this.
  5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be on using my Dx-60/HG-10 and either my MR-1 or HQ140 receiver. I'll probably use my Swan MKII at around 150 watts of carrier power.

N1BCG likes this.
  6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve (WA1QIX) discusses the AM Rally on Bob Heil's "Ham Nation":

Here we get to see a glimpse of what's behind that massive signal!

(The segment begins at 58:20 if the link doesn't begin there)

KC2DHU likes this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what Steve's clip lead count is up to now. I think in my shack I'm up to either 14 or 18 last time I counted. They are of course only in ahem, temporary use.

8. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

New version of the logging software available (the older versions will still work fine): http://www.amrally.com/amtrlog.htm

"See" everyone on the AM Rally this weekend starting at 7:00PM Eastern time.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops! Did I really type National! It's a Northern AM radiotelephone. Looking at RF current output yesterday, we guess about 90 Watts. So class H3.

If I had National stuck in my head, I was thinking about dobros, steel resonator guitars. Another great hobby!

10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Uncle Steve's AM Rally Official Chilli Recipe (guaranteed to provide a disruption-free shack)

Ingredients:

• 1 Pound of high quality ground beef (or other ground meat of your choice - I use Beef)
    • 3 Cans of Organic Chili beans from Westbrea Natural (that's the brand). These are Organic chili beans containing 3 types of beans - Kidney, Black and Pinto
    • 3 Jars of Green Mountain Gringo Salsa as follows:
      • 1 hot, 1 garlic, 1 mild.
      • Note: The quality of the salsa makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the chili.
      • Green Mountain Gringo is the best. Most salsa has too much tomato sauce which makes a poor chili. I would stick with Green Mountain Gringo
    To prepare: Brown the meat in a large pot, breaking it up into very small pieces. Add the chili beans and salsa, stirring as you go. Stir completely, and bring to a low boil (heat on medium). Stir the mixture occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Reduce the heat to low. Let cook for 2 or 3 hours (simmer) - make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom or stick to the pot. The heat has to be low enough. Do not over-stir, or the beans will get mushy.

If you want to serve the same day, let sit for a while to cool off for a couple of hours, then reheat. Usually better the next day, but sitting and re-heating works just fine.

Best served with cornbread! A simple and VERY good cornbread mix is made by Jiffy (usually in the baking isle someplace).