ad: chuckmartin

The AM Rally Returns! February 1-4 2019

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N1BCG, Dec 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

With just six weeks and some major holidays coming up, I thought I'd better mention early that the AM Rally operating event will be held the 1st weekend of February on this schedule:

0000Z Saturday February 2 - 0700Z Monday February 4

( 7:00pm EST Friday February 1 - 2:00am EST Monday February 4 )
    ( 4:00pm PST Friday February 1 - 11:00pm PST Sunday February 3 )

With Groundhog Day on Saturday, the Super Bowl on Sunday, and the AM Rally operating event throughout the weekend, it's truly a triple celebration!

There are even plans getting made for W1Aw to put their Gates BC1T on the air for the event!

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 , and 6 meter Amateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in use today. This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), using any type of radio equipment. Modern, Vintage, Tube, Transistor, Software Defined, Military, Boat Anchor, Broadcast, Home Brew or Commercially available radio are all welcomed to join in on the AM fun.

Details at www.AMRally.com

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    W1TRY, N2EY and K6CLS like this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely get about as much activity as there is here on the AM forum...

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which reminds me: May as well mention that the Electric Radio Heavy Metal KD0HG Rally is on Jan. 5th.

I guess we're working jobs, operating, working out, doing chores....I've tried to raise interest in operating on 160 m. but folks are either already there or are not interested.

4. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

So the Heavy Metal rally in honor of Bill is the 5th of January. What are the start and finish times of the rally? I will be out of town all that week, but I may see how much heavy metal I can carry with me. Maybe a Viking II tickling a Hallicrafters HT-32 amplifier. I get a backache thinking about lifting it, so I guess it can be considered heavy metal. My restored PP 250-TH rig modded by PP 810s is not quite portable enough! Would have to launch some temporary antennas up in Virginia. If no snow or ice, I will brave the cold.

I plan to be back home for the AM rally. Ready to test some new equipment. Should be lots of fun! Hope to work a lot of new calls on AM!

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not like a hard core qrmtest with rules. Ray wrote that it typically begins at local sunset, (so that's sunset on Sat. Jan. 5th) and I guess it ends when you don't feel like operating anymore. He says it's pretty much a 75 meter event and he doesn't want to see a small number of high powered stations dominating everything and acting like net controls with no pauses for breakers. Send photos and comments to ray@ermag.com. That's the extent of the "rules." I don't want to hijack the topic. It is supposed to be about the AM Rally and I believe that is more of a thing with log files sent in to Steve and some sort of report afterwards with a list of participants and statistics. For the ER thing, I always just sent Ray an email detailing when I operated, what band conditions seemed like on what frequencies, who I worked or heard, what gear I was running...that's about it.

6. N1BCG

THREE WEEKS

Yeah, I know. Why so early? Mainly because these things tend to sneak up after other plans are put in place. Besides, you can find hidden messages if you know where to look.

The AM Rally begins on Friday, February 1st (the fishing gear is in the kitchen)
    They're where you least expect to see them!

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to mention that this time around, Electric Radio promoted the WA1QIX event, the AWA AM Rally and the Novice Rig Roundup. I was pleased to see about a page and a half devoted to these significant upcoming events. Thanks to the fellows to alerted Ray before his deadline as these notices were in the Jan. issue. Great timing.

8. N1BCG

With just one week to go, it's time to locate those manuals for proper ALC/mic level setting (if appropriate). Those who operate AM regularly offer assistance in getting things adjusted for best performance. Check these popular AM operating frequencies throughout the event:

1880, 1945 (160M)
    3870-3890 (75M)
    7280-7300 (40M)
    14.286 (20M)

9. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget to listen around 14.330Mc.

10. N1BCG

Oh, and you can plan on hearing the ARRL's Gates BC1T heavy-iron broadcast transmitter on the air from the League's HQ in Newington, CT during the AM Rally. Bob Allison (WB1GCM) had manned the mic for nearly two days straight last year (how did he do it??)

W1AW and WB1GCM.JPG

The ARRL has a massive AM transmitter?!?
    Yep. Check out the conversion to 160M and 80M by Tim (WA1HLR):

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019