The AM Rally Returns - Feb 2-4 2018

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N1BCG, Oct 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the numbers would have been much higher, it seemed like he was working 100 stations an hour!

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

What happened to the BC1-T they're supposed to have?

WA3VJB likes this.
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, I asked Bob WB1GCM about that transmitter when I talked with him on the air Saturday as he ran W1AW-AM. He said TimTron (WA1HLR) is coming down at the end of February to configure the transmitter for 75 meters, instead of the hoped-for 40 meters. The transmitter is located at the ARRL Lab where Bob works, so I figure he's got the latest status of the beast.

The Gates, I believe it's a 1960, which came from the K3RTV museum, is a joint project between the ARRL and the W1VCM museum. Bob said officials at the Connecticut museum are reluctant to stray too far beyond the "original" look and feel of the transmitter. That precluded the idea of what would have been a newly-constructed RF module consisting of a pair of 4-400As, replacing the stock pair of 833A.

There's hope the transmitter's semi-stock configuration will make it through 75 meters.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that the best use for a maul like that would be on 160 m. I imagine ARRL has the resources to set up a strapping series fed vertical tx antenna with dog house matching network. perhaps other existing antennas could be used for receiving. We need more tall ships on 160 and a broadcash rig on the broadcash band would limit its mods. In fact the stock rig is capable of moving up to 2000 kc I think. Everyone is on 75; not on 160.

5. WA3VJB

Best answer ^^^^^^^^^

Think about the visibility aspect of having W1AW on a high powered AM transmitter. This weekend on 75m, Bob commanded the frequency for hours and hours, not only because the "Super Senior" was doing a strapescent job, but also because of the novelty of the hundreds of people who heard W1AW on wholesome AM there and on 40m. The Sennheiser 421 and the Shure mixer plus some comp/EQ to stay friends with the neighbors, was a winning combination.

So, here comes the Gates, a transmitter nearly 60 years old, not really a collectible, but still a desirable piece for a museum, and it can be made functional for the widest AM audience in the hobby -- the one on 75 meters. That's the biggest payoff from getting that rig on the air, while remaining somewhat loyal to the curating goals of the Vintage Communications Museum.

I believe this joint project of theirs, placed on 75 meters, will do the best to improve the presence in the hobby of the museum and W1AW.

https://www.vrcmct.org/home.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    AC0OB likes this.
  6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The rationale is that their K7DYY transmitter is set up for 80 & 40. That leaves a void on 160, perfect for the BC1-T to fill.

7. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did an on-air survey of about 20 hams during the AM Rally, asking what band should we put the Gates transmitter on. The answer was unanimous: since all works well on 80 and 40 with the dyy, put the Gates on 160.
    This suits the museum folks well, since they do not wish to make any major modifications to it. Someday, that transmitter may end up in Windsor, at the museum, as a backup for their broadcast station. They don't have a station yet, but may grab one if a dark station is available in the area (to be run as a not-for-profit). Wouldn't that be cool?

AC0OB likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

Bob, watch for this card!

Just sent my log tally to Brian KB3WFV, and you're No. 1 !

Attached Files:

9. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually do all of the log tallying, so it needs to come to me (logs@amrally.com).

Regards, Steve

10. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Steve, how's the tallying going? I'm very curious to see if there are any patterns with respect to last year.
    Thanks
    James, KB2FMH