The AM Rally Returns - Feb 2-4 2018

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N1BCG, Oct 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA4JK

WA4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it does and I got a call last night to be out of state starting next week through Feb. so I won’t be home for the holidays.
    I’ll get back on the air in two years when I Simi-retire

2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

We're approaching the 30 day countdown! Time to locate those manuals for proper ALC/mic level setting (if appropriate). Those who operate AM regularly offer assistance in getting things adjusted for best performance. Check these popular AM operating frequencies:

1880, 1945 (160M)
    3870-3890 (75M)
    7280-7300 (40M)

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, depending on geographical area:
    1885, 1980-85 (160m)
    7275 (40m)

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Parts are in for the Bauer. Hopefully, I can get the driver mods done and this big puppy on the air in time. WOOF!

5. N1BCG

The Return of the AM Rally...

What happens when the AM button is pushed? A lot of operators haven't tried it, and that's why there's an event coming up on the February 2-4 weekend that invites everyone who can transmit in the AM mode to join in and expand the capabilities of their amateur stations!

The AM Rally is a cooperative event organized by AMers, Sidebanders, and CW operators to encourage their fellow operators to try out this sister mode, make contacts, and have a shot at earning certificates in a number of categories. We plan to make the AM Rally fun for everyone, but we also want to help ops who might be new to the mode get their rigs set up and sounding the best they can in time for the event. Whether your rig is software based, transistorized, vacuum tubed, a hybrid, homebrewed, or broadcast, you'll be a welcome part of the AM Rally.

Visit www.amrally.com for details on the event, contact information, award categories, logging, and tips on getting the most out of your station.

We look forward to hearing you on the air!

What: The AM Rally
    When: February 2-4, 2018
    Where: 160M, 80M, 40M, 20M, 15M, 10M, & 6M
    Why: To have fun and encourage all amateurs to learn about and get the most out of the AM mode

The AM Rally website (www.amrally.com) offers handy logging software for free as well as some guidance on setting up a variety of rigs for AM. The information is found by scrolling down past the event information. Specific rig questions are always welcome.

It's easier than ever to check your sound with so many internet receivers available. Two great sites are:

WebSDR: www.websdr.org

KiwiSDR: http://sdr.hu/?top=kiwi

Many offer the ability to record your audio and download the file.

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a distinct surge in membership requests on my Facebook Amplitude Modulation (Classic) group since Bob Heil's article was published!

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. N1BCG

I stumbled upon a great video that Larry (WD0AKX) made of the 2017 AM Rally:

Hope you hear you during this year's AM Rally on the first weekend in February!

8. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The weekend after next (Starts Friday Feb 2nd at 7:00PM Eastern time) is the 2018 AM Rally.

Time to get ready now if your big rig has been in mothballs for a while!

Looking forward to a great time and good conditions.

9. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I can't believe that horrible error in grammar above (you're as opposed to your) - and I couldn't fix it - (edit was not an option for some reason). Oh well :)

Get those big rigs, antennas, whatever - ready to go (and don't forget to download the logging software from here: http://www.amrally.com/amtrlog.htm

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks, glad to find this thread.

For the AM Rally, I'm activating the SS Red Oak Victory ship, from the Richmond ship yard where it was built in 1944.

I'll use the amateur service version of the Merchant Marine call, K6YVM, and the Viet Nam era marine radiotelephone transceiver. Got rox for 1925 1985 3870 3885 7290 7293. Today we tested it and it sounds ok on all bands.

Using the ship's long wire antenna, had ground wave QSOs on 3870 with local folks.

I'll post again later with my op schedule. Depends on health and ship's open hours.

WZ5Q and N1BCG like this.