ad: hrd-2

The AM Rally REALLY STARTS **Friday** (3/31) at 8:00PM !

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WA1QIX, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Welcome to cyberspace, I'm lost in the fog
    everything's digital I'm still analog
    when something goes wrong
    I don't have a clue
    some 10-year-old smart ass has to show me what to do

K5UJ and AC0OB like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I am in a similar vein.

I will use digital circuitry to support an analog circuit, such as using a digital front end to drive an analog circuit.

But after designing both analog and digital IC's and circuits and doing software development in my commercial and military career, I find designing solid-state circuits and programming somewhat boring now.

Phil

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I like to work on old vintage analogue, mostly hollow-state equipment, mostly stuff that somebody else didn't want. But I'm glad to have my DVM, digital capacitance meter and frequency counter. I'd hate be stuck with nothing but my Simpson 260 or my old Weston 1000 ohms-per-volt multimeter, BC-221 freq meter and trying to figure out capacitance using a coil and grid-dip meter. I still use those occasionally too, and have no plans to get ride of them.

4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The computer can also make a nice audio and test wave generator, square, triangle, saw tooth waves, along with the audio and RF spectrum analyzers, all free programs.
    I used to use a VERY expensive Tektronix spectrum analyzer to test my homebrew receiver circuits, I never could have built a good LO without it.
    The RSP2 for $160.00 is just as good if not better.

If you want a good (good) band scope/spectrum analyzer/receiver (all the same thing) you have no choice but an SDR.

My transmitters work well enough, the receivers work just as good as anything else on the bands they are built for and AM, my audio processing suits me just fine, but there is no way I am building a great band scope or mod monitor, or a receiver that does all mode up to 2 GHz.
    Crazy, I use the SDR to make sure my homebrew exciter/vfo's using tubes and B+W coil stock are on frequency....

N6YW likes this.
  5. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said in my reply earlier about computers in the shack, the computer is a TOOL, and a darn good one too! It is not an end, rather it is the means to an end and that end is an excellent operating experience.

For my job, I write software which is embedded within a high quality streaming audio device (Bose SoundTouch speakers) using Unix. And I develop Amazon Echo (Alexa) skills, which is actually a lot of fun. I'm working on a logging skill for the Alexa which will facilitate hands free operation in the car when I want to log a contact but can't type at that moment.

The idea is never to have to fool with the shack computer itself - that is not my idea of fun. The idea is to have the computer work all the time like a good tool should, and enhance the operating pleasure, convenience and facility :) which it definitely does ! Don't poo-poo a powerful tool until you try it first :D

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get a Panadaptor (the Panoramic Company brand name) http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/panadap.htm and then you don't need no computer :)

Anyway, no offense, but I think you digital folks have been sucked in by the computer industry. They get you hooked, like a drug pusher does, and it's all fabulous and convenient, but then something craps out, a hard drive crashes, sooner or later there's always something, you can't reinstall the old OS, the new one won't run on your out of date CPU, the old drivers are no longer available, and you'll do anything, anything, pay $$$, to get your fix again.

I see this with all these folks wandering around with their doo dads and gadgets, their magic phones, magic note pads, off in their own world walking in front of a bus staring at their teeny text screen. If something were to happen where their precious gadgets crapped out they'd all melt down like the Wicked Witch. Meanwhile those of us with 70 year old tube gear don't even know anything happened. Here's an experiment. Try going 2 weeks without the shack computer gear. See if you can last that long. If you can't, I'd be worried--you might have a computer addiction.

I've had situations in the past where I didn't have my one and only upstairs magic box, the one I'm using right now, for a week, and I discovered that it was depressing to be without it. I found that experience very disturbing because it told me I've probably developed some sort of psychological dependency. Shut off all the gadgets for a week! See if you can handle it! The experience might be revealing, and disturbing.

7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a problem. Maybe you can help.

Samsung dishwasher likes to taunt Alexa who resides on the nearby countertop.

It's done with high frequency audio tones. The dog goes nuts and I can detect them with only my right ear.

It gets into the bar graph display of my audio system in the shack which is in the next room.

One of my friends in the government let me use some special software to decode it.

Not sure if the decode is 100% correct but if it is the Samsung dishwasher is taunting and sexually harassing Alexa.

He continually reminds her that she is not performing any actual work.

Did they accidentally ship the suspected terrorist model Alexa and Samsung dishwashers because I'm on the list of people who drive cars with zero microprocessor controls?

Alexa definitely listens to conversations and whatever is happening around the home. She knows my internet search history and plays music based on it.

Another clue is I've noticed people walking their dogs up the street. The dogs always avoid my house and cross to the other side.

W2PHL likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another clue is I've noticed people walking their dogs up the street. The dogs always avoid my house and cross to the other side.

Maybe that's good thing? :cool:

Phil

W2VW likes this.
  9. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the Alexa device DEFINITELY listens all the time. I don't leave it on all the time, but when it is on, sometimes during casual conversation the Alexa will pipe up with something right in the middle of it. Obviously picked up the invocation word (Alexa) or something that was close enough cause activation.

Oh, computers in the shack? No computers in the shack at Rattlesnake Island - so when we are there, no computer aided hamming there :p

Regards, Steve

W2VW likes this.
  10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Flex 6300. Nice rig for slopbucket and digital....but my Howard Mills R390 still hears bettter.