The AM Rally REALLY STARTS **Friday** (3/31) at 8:00PM !

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WA1QIX, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Call it Rally, or Special AM Event or HM or whatever - any event that puts AM on the Radar Screen is greatly appreciated.

I think we can do more to promote AM and to educate those new to ARS or AM by using frequencies that are outside of the so-called "Window," simply because fewer people seem to recognize that window or adhere to a precedented gentleman's agreement of such.

For me, I do more AM work on 3.705 and 3.721 lately than the other frequencies.

Phil

WQ5Q and WA3VJB like this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

With more operators recognizing SSB and AM as phone mode options, each with advantages, there would be no need for windows. In addition, with the continuing growth of AM interest, it will be increasingly impractical to set aside spectrum compared to decades ago.

For me, SSB is my choice for DXing and AM for casual conversations. I wouldn't give up either, and both are my cushy refuge after an all-you-can-stand buffet of CW.... ..

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    WQ5Q, KF7TLL and N6YW like this.
  3. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Phil

All that is needed to promote AM is for amateur radio operators in any mode to behave as they did this weekend. The comradeship displayed this past weekend by all amateurs participating in the AM Rally or not, was very impressive. It is this attitude that will break down barriers.

Brian
    KB3WFV

WQ5Q, KF7TLL, N6YW and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The concept of constraining ourselves to a given area ruins the opportunity for dynamic frequency selection, i.e. taking advantage of a clear spot on the dial that provides adequate elbow room alongside incompatible modes and activities.

I've recently started referring to the popular AM gathering points as "corridors" instead of "windows" as a method of eventually discontinuing such a restriction entirely. The word choice means about the same thing, I acknowledge, but as with "HAM radio," the original intent of an "AM window" has been overcome by operating trends both good and bad on HF in the hobby.

See you down low.

WQ5Q and N1BCG like this.
  5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

How low can you go?

limbo.JPG

WA3VJB likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I used to call 3870-90 the "AM Ghetto", but maybe that's not such a descriptive term any more. It used to be extremely crowded every evening, especially weekends, with AM signals sometimes piled on top of other AM signals, and SSB sandwiched in between, near chaos in the mid to late evening, usually with some intentional QRM thrown in.

With frequencies open "down below" and the overall drop-off in HR activity in general, it's usually not that crowded or chaotic, with QSOs of more reasonable size, and the deliberate interference and jamming has dropped off drastically the past 3 years or so. In fact, intentional interference has become somewhat rare now. Later in the evening, after about 11 PM that entire portion of the band is sometimes devoid of signals of any kind, AM, SSB or anything else.

WA3VJB and N6YW like this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

+1

And around the time you came up with that, we got "Tranquil Valley" from Brent, W1IA, after the FCC expanded downward the phone portion of 75.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it handy to have a frequency to look for AM rather then tuning all over the bands.
    My antenna's are cut for low swr there and I have no problem with an AM area, not that we HAVE to stay in it.

You guys without sdr radios really tune the entire phone section over and over looking for AM signals on say 3960 and 3794 on the chance that some
    wing nut is calling cq on AM there??

9. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a few. I doubt in fact the noise at ARRL was the AC. That was probably best guess because 40M was wide open one minute and then terrible the next. I tried to work a--ZUL but had a bad buzz on the signal on the digital rx which I suspect had nothing to do with him. Sounded like 120hz. But didnt matter who was talking it was there. It got so bad I finally quit for the day. Same equipment with no mods or touching on same freq and antenna is working perfect today. I can remember working some Pond Hops on CW earlier this year on 7070 and I had to stand down for two days because of strange atmospheric noise. My intended contact there warned me and I could hear it on HACK GREEN SDR online. Some days are diamonds, some are stones. Still had fun with both my B&W 5100 ad my No 19 WS. Worked a few on both 40M and 80M
    donVE3LYX

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

That's why I have always used OWL tuned feeders and a matching network. I can go anywhere on any of the bands I work, from one end to the other, all with one antenna. Actually two; my insulated vertical tower with radial ground system, and the dipole attached to the tower near the top. It's an integrated system; the dipole serves as the horizontal top loading section for the 160m vertical, making it more accurately described as a vertical tee, not a straight ground-mounted vertical.

Some hams have a separate dipole for each band, occasionally to the point of having separate dipoles for 80 and 75m, each cut for a different portion of the band. I couldn't count the number of times I have had AM operators tell me they can't work 'down below' because their antenna is cut for 'the AM part of the band' at 3870-90, and won't load up, or the SWR is too high, at 3700 give-or-take whatever. I could never tolerate being so limited in my choice of operating frequency, nor having a porcupine of multiple antennas strung all around the house. I can work CW equally well at 3505 as AM on 3995, merely by tweaking a couple of tuned circuits.

I don't use an in-line SWR meter, since there's not a sprig of 50-ohm unbalanced coax anywhere in the system. I initially tuned the entire system across each band at reduced power with the aid of my homebrew Micro-match* balanced reflected power indicator and some thermocouple rf ammeters, and made up a frequency/tuning chart that I keep in a little notebook next to the operating position. Maybe once a year I'll run a few random checks on various bands and frequencies with the instruments to make sure none of the settings have drifted away from my chart. IMO, hams are WAY too obsessed with SWR.

A panoramic display would be nice, but not until I can acquire a self-contained unit that fits my oprating position. My ham shack is computer-free.

* See QST, April 1947, page 15. Circuit modified slightly to include 160m.

WD4IGX likes this.