The AM Rally REALLY STARTS **Friday** (3/31) at 8:00PM !

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WA1QIX, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I enjoyed our QSO albeit brief! Great signal too.

2. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It was brief Billy...glad to finally work you and John.

Don and Phil, looking at the tubes specs for the 572B, they are 160w per tube plate dissipation and right now I have 2 of them in the 30L-1. (There's room for 4.) Just to be conservative, I dropped my carrier down to 100w and we'll see how we do. I don't want to press the plate transformer either.

3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I made some contacts on 80 and 40 meters, and enjoyed the shorter contact format (instead of the 20 minute transmissions that tend to happen on AM.
    I then listened on 15 meters and heard nothing, then checked out 20 meters and saw/heard Bill, running a special call of Bill Orr W6SAI who I thought was in California but was in Alabama and worked him with the Anan 10-e at 4 watts carrier out.
    My first ever AM contact on 20 meters.
    It was kind of easy to do so, click on 20 meters, see a signal, hit the button on the auto tuner, call and work the signal.
    I can jump from band to band, see signals and work them in seconds.
    I just need to get some sort of amplifier to boost the signal up to 20 to 40 watts.

Oh, and I also worked W1AW on 80 meters with the 813 rig, first time I ever worked W1AW!

4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

He said the AC units on the roof emit trash which takes out the weaker stations.
    OOPs!
    Guess the noise is more bothersome on AM then other modes, or maybe the antenna is a temp setup..

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Spent most of Saturday on 40 meters where the band had AM QSOs from 7260 all the way up. I hung out on 7270 much of the time and the frequency stayed clear into the late afternoon. Came back after a hike & some dinner, and worked another dozen stations until the band collapsed just after 10pm Eastern. Excellent time.

Lost track of all the times I became someone's first contact on AM, including a guy who was getting back on AM for the first time since 1957.

Very cool indeed.

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like they need to do some double E work on those rooftop AC units. I'll betcha they got some VFD's in line or perhaps the HVAC controls are emitting hash.

7. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I just worked a New Jersey station on 7275...I think he said he was running 30 watts...that's impressive. I'm surprised I could hear him at all. The so-called AM segment is covered with sideband signals tonight.

8. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Friday night was a good start . had a nice round table on 7.293, Kelly Thnx for the contact. My Phone was slammed with worked related issues so I was in and out most of the start of the rally. Then as the night went on there was a LOT of east stations calling on the freq at same time calling CQ. I guess my little 150W just didn't cut the mustard to get back for the contact. There must have been 30 stations calling on 7.290-7.293 at same time, I got tired after a bit and didn't even try 75M
    Saturday was a big bust for me :( long day at work so I didn't even play radio That night. I think I will try 20M on Sunday and see what happens then progress down to 40 as the day draws near a end.
    What little I was on MANY new AM stations came on so I think this was a hit to draw more to this wonderful mode !

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So the ARRL folks are discovering the challenges involved with operating AM. I wondered when that would happen. Audio processing, more fiya in a hiya wiya await them. All the compromises that were tolerable with CW and slopbucket have to go if they want an enjoyable experience.

And then there's receiving....:)

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a lot of piling up on the few standard AM oft used frequencies instead of spreading out.