The AM Rally REALLY STARTS **Friday** (3/31) at 8:00PM !

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WA1QIX, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a note, the AM Rally actually begins at 8:00PM EDT on FRIDAY 3/31/17 which is 4/1/2017 0000z (the official starting time of the event).

So, we can start operating the event on Friday night, which is great! Gives another big block of potentially good operating conditions to make contacts.

Need info? Check http://www.amrally.com Logging software? http://www.amrally.com/amtrlog.htm

The ARRL will be operating during the event as well (just spoke with someone there this afternoon).

Should be a good time! Look forward to talking with many of the folks on this board during the event.

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Busy, talked with you on 3873....usual QRM from the SSB Texas (no) Traffic Net and random VFO swishing CW dits.

3. KA4KOE

Lots of activity on 3885. Worked a string of about 5, then my voice gave out before handing it over to WA3VJB....still not 100% from this flu bug I picked up 8 days ago.

WA3VJB likes this.
  4. WA1QIX

This is great! There is AM activity all over 75 meters. Haven't listened to any other bands, but there is quite a lot of activity spread out over various frequencies.

5. KA4KOE

I'm done for tonight. Was actively giving out contacts and had one "first timer". Not keeping a log, but handing out contacts.

6. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a lot of fun tonight working the AM Rally. Thanks so much to QIX and others who have organized this event and encouraging folks new to AM to try it out.

I have no working transmitter for AM (yet) but a friend W7LB in Tucson loaned me his Flex 3000. I have it running 20 w into a Collins 30L-1 for about 150 w carrier. I installed a home brew sampler (K1JJ) to feed a Tek 465 scope to check modulation. I used info on the web from WA1AEX to adjust the audio chain on the Flex. After some more tweaking, everything looked good into the dummy load so I hit the airwaves for the FIRST TIME ON AM! I received excellent audio reports and typically 10-20db over signal strength in CA, TX, NM, and WA states on 7293. So I'm pretty excited about my first foray into AM. Looking forward to the rest of the weekend...hopefully we'll have good conditions. I've already learned a lot from all of the people on this forum and thank you for the support and encouragement.

WA3VJB and W2VW like this.
  7. KA4KOE

Don't know if I'd continue to run that amp with that much carrier if it has 3-811s.

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Normally, you want the carrier to run about half the total plate dissipation. As I recall, the plate dissipation for an 811A (CCS) is 55 watts per tube. That would be 165 total for three, or about 82.5 watts carrier out. With transmitting tubes becoming more scarce and expensive every day, in recent years I have been running mine more conservatively than I used to back in the day, and rarely run anything at the ICAS rating any more. Be careful, tube data sheets that indicate much greater power output are probably referring to the low duty-cycle output power for SSB, not steady AM carrier.

9. WA1QIX

That's fantastic ! Welcome to A.M. I will be on tonight for sure - hopefully there will be less static than last night - maybe we can hook up. Worked W1AW and many other stations today and yesterday. Quite the event !!

Regards, Steve

10. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

My 3oL-1 has a pair of 572B's right now. Thanks for the heads up. I will adjust the carrier lower.

Was just on with WD7F in Tucson on 7293, then heard Billy N6YW, and then band/QSB took them out. I can hear audio but not copyable.

Was playing with the receive EQ on the Flex 3000. Noticed signals were easier to copy when I increased the "presence" frequencies. John was using a GK 500A.

KA4KOE and N6YW like this.