The "Alligators" on 3895 in the 70s and 80s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1MER, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think hams NEED CBers to feel superior too, yet oddly enough I don't hear frequency wars and male prostitution skits going on 122.8 MHz nor 156.8 MHz nor 4.125 MHz. I know where to go for that and it is a ham band.
    It is an incredibly bizarre obsession decades past its sell-by date. I could go months or even years, between seeing a CB antenna on a car. Do you know what experience with two-way radio most people have now? Despite not being intended for business, pretty much every store will have FRS bubble pack radios for the staff."Hey Jim, this is Jane, get a bag of salt from the storeroom". THAT is radio today.
    "I got 9 pounds at my 20"
    "I got QRM at my QTH OM, 73"
    The general public surely has no idea what ANY of that means and could not care less, it is all weird phrases from an arcane hobby they have no interest in.

W9AFB, KC1MER, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but there have been some interesting "stuck key broadcasts" on 121.5 and 156.8. It's inevitable after a while that someone will key up on top and announce "Your mike is stuck! Check your mike!"

My response is always "Now think about that for a minute".

At least in the case of 121.5 they might also be monitoring either Approach or Center and they could help. Both long shots but worth a try.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, 11 meters has little activity. Why would you continue operation, much of it in violation of the regulations, when you have been given the gift of a ham ticket and why would you concern yourself with following the regulations at the new place you call home?

WA5VGO likes this.
  4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another one with the time machine :rolleyes: The worst frequency wars with the non-stop rules violations and jamming were happening when General was still 13 WPM and were utterly unrelated to CB. Do you think the number of people who decide that "I want to buy a radio and then use it to violate FCC regulations so I was going to the store to buy a CB and then discovered that a ham radio license can be given to me as a gift so I changed direction and went to the ham store and spent $1,000 on a radio to violate rules with" would fill up a compact car? I don't.
    Can someone explain this fetish of "we follow the rules". NO YOU DO NOT and in very little time I could make a recording from 40 and 80 meters that would make you run to a 1980 version of Channel 19 for sanity :rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, like many, he upgraded to Extra after many decades on the air, as soon as they eliminated the code requirement. Haven't heard him on the air for years, but people can still be heard occasionally making fun of his vanity callsign, with the phonetics "No Balls".

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

This ^^^ post and the related callsign lookup page are both brilliant examples of a personal need for boogeymen to validate ones existence.

W9AFB likes this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right you are!

8. KC1MER

KC1MER Ham Member QRZ Page

In case anyone is interested, I now have MP3 files with the Alligators and their 75 meter rivals. Thanks to N1BCG for digitizing and editing the recordings that I made on Christmas Eve 1976 and sometime in January 1977 (references to "Roots" on TV). Disclaimers: I was 14 years old when I recorded this and thought it was hilarious. The adult nature of the humor made it something forbidden which added to the allure. I recognize now that there were racist and other very questionable remarks made. Consider the sources and the time. Also, I had a very basic receiver, antenna and tape recorder.

Here are the links:

http://netcast.internetwork.com/Radio/audio/1970s_Alligators_1.mp3
    http://netcast.internetwork.com/Radio/audio/1970s_Alligators_2.mp3

M0IND likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only listened to a bit of it. Disgusting drunks.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't hear anything that disgusting. Just mostly unintelligible middle school level shenanigans. ;)