The "Alligators" on 3895 in the 70s and 80s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1MER, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What amazes me is that at least 40 years after CB went as dead as a doornail some hams on QRZ are still obsessing about it and about who might be an ex-CBer.

If I'm wrong and it's still 1974, just tell me. I'd actually be pretty happy for that to be the case. :D

N1VAU, WD4ELG, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

They must be ghosts I hear on the ham bands..."Your hitting me with 9 pounds", "The first personal is ", "When did you get into ham" "what's your 20" and yes, even "10-4"

It's also interesting the number of bio pages on QRZ where folks go on about their CB days. Get over it. By the way, I don't obsess over CB I do, and will, point out past illegal operation on CB and how that may impact those who become ham radio operators. Go back and read the post.

W5WN, K4KYV and WA5VGO like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

It hasn't been 40 years, more like a decade maybe, that 11m is dead. CB was still going strong during the sunspot maximum before the most recent one; they were massively invading the lower end of 10m. CB died after cell phones became ubiquitous.

To-day, the majority of the public have probably never heard of ham radio or CB.

W5WN likes this.
  5. W4NNF

It's been 40 years since the CB craze went dead as a mackerel. Some people continued to use it after it stopped being a Convoy-Smokey big deal, but even those few have abandoned it. Even the good old boys down here on 4-wheelers.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Some places still use CB. Beats the hell out of the hand crank party line they still employ.

7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon is still carrying SCADs of them though. Why is dat?

K3XR likes this.
  8. W4NNF

Who knows? They are also carrying plenty of these, OM... ;)

upload_2020-2-7_17-29-1.png

AG5CK and NL7W like this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran into K8RXW at Hamvention one year. ol' Kenny. I tuned them gators in once in awhile but they were like certain genre's of music, I could only take them in doses. The 7.200 mess I do not even try to listen to. I listened to 14.313 once or twice just due to reputation and heard just rants and garbage. "Outlaw" groups are only worth hearing in the instance that they provide some degree of entertainment to balance out the disgust factor. I see that if you put in RXW you actually go to his one by two call he has now. Probably just like any other group, they all got old and senile or SK.