The "Alligators" on 3895 in the 70s and 80s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1MER, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

k.

2. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember Chad, WB8TNY was one of that group. I used to live near him and visited him every once in a while. Never saw his big amp, it was hidden in the laundry room. He had a Drake 7 line, for radios. Lived right on Lake Erie. Fun to visit with, he had a big parrot.

3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember beaujolais and ripple -- bruise yo lipple.
    Mike N3PM

AG5CK and WA0YDE like this.
  4. KC1MER

KC1MER Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a 90-minute cassette, so 45 minutes per side. Any interest in helping me restore and enhance the tape?

5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. I've got the equipment, but the success will depend on the original quality of the recordings. Digital enhancement can't recreate what isn't there.

I'm good on QRZ. Please include return postage if you want the cassette returned. There will be two MP3 files which I'll email to you when they're ready.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS...
    MY TAKE ON THE 11 METER (CB) / HAM RADIO ISSUE

From previous K3XR post on QRZ.com forum...

The 11 meter issue is a separate one doubtful any opinions will change regardless here goes......I just finished reading new replies to this thread when listening to a conversation on 2 meters with one station telling the other station he was "giving him 2 pounds" now there's a ham phrase if ever there was one! Seems to me no one would know you were a previous 11 meter operator unless you made it known or unless you conducted your operating in a manner that would remove any doubt.

It is difficult for some to understand that references to 11 meters by way of phrases operating practices etc are offensive to those who take pride in a disciplined hobby where it's participants mostly comply with the rules and regulations. Yes, I know ham radio has its share of bad operators that does not mean we need more of them.

If you are a former operator of the 11 meter band and complied with all of the rules and regulations on that band there is every reason to expect you will do the same on the ham bands and you should be welcomed. For example, did you limit your communications to 151 miles (recently changed)? Limit transmissions to 5 minutes with a 1 minute break? Only operated on assigned channels? Operated at the legal power limit? The old and recently changed rules and regs are widely available if you want to take the time to do the research.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes no sense in this context. DeForest Kelley face to you.

8. KC1MER

KC1MER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I will do it. The original quality was not great given that the receiver was a tube model subject to frequency drift, there was intentional QRMing (all part of the experience) and it was just a small cassette recorder next to a speaker. That said, the strong stations come through very well. There are a couple of weaker ones -- especially WB9CIK, who was the target of the ridicule -- who are difficult to hear, but they are there. I'm hoping they can be pulled out of the muck.

Feel free to edit out the musical selection that got in there when I mistakenly taped over a small part of the tape a couple of years later.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

3898 were lesser hams that could hack it on 3985. ;)

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember the Gator Trader Net? :)