The "Alligators" on 3895 in the 70s and 80s

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC1MER, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1MER

KC1MER Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my first experiences with amateur radio was listening the the self-styled "Alligators" who provided nightly entertainment on 3895 KHz SSB in the late 70s. I understand they continued that well into the 80s. I'm sure they broke numerous rules and certainly did not always have good taste. But they were entertaining to 14 year-old me listening on the sly with my headphones. Some of the call signs were K8RXW (Dr. Doozy), WB8MNH (Norman Ham), W4MPE (the Puke a Paducah), WB8BFS (Beefus) and WB9CIK (Percy).

I recently found a cassette tape with the above-mentioned hams and others operating on 80 meters in late 76-early 77. It is not good quality, having been made with a cheap cassette recorded next to a speaker. However, I imagine it can be improved with technology available now.

If anyone is interested in preserving this piece of ham radio folklore, please let me know.

KC1MER

Brian Sullivan

NL7W likes this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

but I thought it was no-code CBers who did bad things? How can these tapes be real?

N5XKG, WD4ELG, N1VAU and 2 others like this.
  3. N0XL

N0XL Ham Member QRZ Page

I lost year’s worth of sleep listening to 3895. I would go to bed around 11pm and listen until 3 or 4 in the morning. I couldn’t go to sleep because those guys were so funny and entertaining. Although they were berated by most hams, they were just having fun and were not hurting a thing. I loved it!

K8PG, WW0W, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  4. KC1MER

KC1MER Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have the time to take the tape to a place that could enhance and digitize it. But if any of you do, please let me know, and I'll send it to you. I did tune between 3895 and another 75 meter frequency (a rival group of younger guys from Ohio) to listen to the back and forth needling and QRMing and recorded over a bit later in my teens. But if you want to hear K8RXW signing "the Christmas Song" with his made up lyrics (and WB8BFS noting that the prohibition against music did not apply because that wasn't singing), you'll be interested in this recording!

WW0W likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

for the first time ever, I listened to 7.200 one night while playing a computer game. I wasnt offended or shocked. I was more embarrassed than anything . . . surprised that grown men behave that way and feel good about making up voices, play stupid sound clips, etc. and NOT get PAID to do it! So bizarre. . .

KE0GXN, K4AGO and NK2U like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I always think a tape of 7.200 MHz would get any commercial interest rights to 40 meters if they wanted it. "THIS is what hams do with their precious band"

AC1HH likes this.
  7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What about 3898 20-30 years ago.

KJ4AQL, K3EY and NL7W like this.
  8. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

What about it??

9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    WD4ELG and N1VAU like this.
  10. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did my late night listening in the 60's, with a AM transistor radio under my pillow. It was always tuned to WOR, where Gene Shepard was broadcasting from the Limelight cafe. The 70s and 80s were just way to busy to listen to the radio.