The 6146B VS 6146 story

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K9AXN, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9AXN

K9AXN Ham Member QRZ Page

This information is provided to help sort out fact from fiction regarding the 6146 tube series.

It should provide enough information to decide for yourself what choices to make when mixing, matching, adding bias adjustments, or simply ignoring the tube developers recommendations. The choices you make are simply yours.

http://k9axn.com/_mgxroot/page_10895.html

Read the narrative first THE 6146B STORY 9U2.pdf then observe the individual tube photos. There will be a pair of photos for each tube with lights on and off. On depicts what you normally see and lights off Infrared signature of the plate.

Hope you find it interesting
    Kindest regards Jim K9AXN

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K9AXN and N2EY like this.
  3. K9AXN

Glen,
    I reference your work in the narrative and also state that it confirms what you wrote. Thanks for getting the story out.

Regards Jim

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had charged every publication in which the article has been printed, I would have a pretty good nest egg to add to Social Security and my TXU pension!

I have lost count of all the requests I have had for permission to reprint the article. These requests have come from all over the world including club newsletters to the Collins Collectors' Association to Electric Radio to the national publications of several European amateur radio societies. I approved reprinting in all of those publications.

Even though I wrote the article several decades ago, and then rewrote it in 2002, I still get an occasional request to reprint. This article, and almost all of the articles on my website, can be reprinted so long as there is nothing charged for the publication (i.e. a magazine like CQ magazine that is sold for a profit), no editing of the article, the copyright notice has to remain, that I am recognized as the author, and that I get a copy of the publication.

Over a year ago, I got a request from CQ to use several of my articles. I told them about needing payment for the articles from the early 1970s for which I was never paid. The editor told me that he would "look into" the situation and get back to me. Of course, since then, crickets!

Glen, K9STH

W7UUU, K9AXN and WB5THT like this.
  5. K9AXN

The web site was corrupted, the following url's have been corrected.

This information is provided to help sort out fact from fiction regarding the 6146 tube series.

It should provide enough information to decide for yourself what choices to make when mixing, matching, adding bias adjustments, or simply ignoring the tube developers recommendations. The choices you make are simply yours.

http://k9axn.com/_mgxroot/page_10935.html

Read the narrative first THE 6146B STORY 9U2.pdf then observe the individual tube photos. There will be a pair of photos for each tube with lights on and off. Lights on depicts what you normally see and lights off, the Infrared signature of the plate.

Hope you find it interesting
    Kindest regards Jim K9AXN

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018