The 4th Annual expedition to the county line is about to begin!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fall is about upon us: The leaves are falling off the trees. The breeze is cool. The salmon are checking out the river and feeling urges to swim upsteam. And most importantly of all, the 2019 Washington State Salmon Run is about to begin!

I'm starting to my arrangements for the 4th annual expedition to the county line in the Umatilla National Forest. Not much different than last time, with a couple of improvements. The big improvement is that I decided to take a chance and rent an open U-Haul trailer rather than the enclosed cargo trailer. I had the cargo trailer last time, which worked out great for rain protection of everything in the trailer. Unfortuantely, I encountered a pretty severe side wind on the way back and went slow as a result, which made the trip back very, very long. This time I am going with the open trailer because I think it will pull a lot better.

I've reviewed the items that I am taking, and I believe everything will survive the open trailer in a rainstorm if I encounter one. I'll have the generator, four 5 gallon gas cans, the cooler, and a couple of tarps back there. Those will all be fine in case of rain. Everything else should fit in the Subaru Outback tow vehicle.

Same station setup as before - 200' feet of coaxial cable to the same set of trees as last year. 80-6m OCF antenna. 1kw amplifier being driven by IC-7600. Desktop computer with dual monitors. Full internet integration.

I did investigate using FT-8 for the contest. Thought that might be a good mode for Sunday. Turns out, contest organizer is firm about using the correct exchange which is not practical with JT-65 / FT 8 / FT 4, etc. So that will rule out those modes for this year at least.

Last year, there were about four or five major contests, plus the Route 66 special event station, going on Saturday. I was completely exhausted and beat by the end of the day Saturday. Then Sunday was completely dead. I checked the contest calendar and it doesn't look to be as much Saturday activity and Sunday is still dead. We will see how it goes.

I'll keep posting as I get further along with my adventure.

K4AGO and N3AWS like this.
  2. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need to rub it in...... temperature is still in the mid 90s here. :eek:

K0UO likes this.
  3. KB7QPS

Oh, leaves falling off trees isn't exactly a weekend event in Seattle. It's more like a season in itself. The first leaves drop right around the 1st of August and the last leaves usually don't come off until just before Halloween. Makes keeping a clean yard lots of fun.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

103F here today...and will be tomorrow.

Cooldown expected Monday, down into the mid-80s. Looking forward to it!

It's only 9/13 and we've had 6 days above 100 degrees.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

59 right now here at 8650 feet in the Rockies, we had a low of 43 last night - had to close the bedroom window and put on a blanket! It was 66 in the house when I woke up...

There was snow up on Vail pass and Copper mountain yesterday morning. It's coming! :)

K0UO likes this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

102 high today in Vacaville, CA. It's almost 8 PM local and still 91 outside.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good luck Greg! Stay safe - I will hope to work you.

Will you be operating CW though? I'm planning on being 100% CW this year

My favorite contest of the year :)

For those talking weather - it's NOT THIS WEEKEND. It's the 21st / 22nd... NEXT weekend

Dave
    W7UUU

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

September 21st and 22nd... just to be clear, since you didn't post the actual dates... don't want folks to be confused it's THIS weekend, which is what it was kinda sounding like and the weather reports were chiming in about....

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KB7QPS

Looking at the forecast ahead, it appears that the weather will cooperate once again. A ridge of high pressure is supposed to build over the weekend and the daytime will be sunny and warm. Evenings will be cool and mostly dry. Some patchy rain, but nothing too bad.

I don't fear the rain (although it makes setting up and taking down not so fun) since my contest station will be nice and dry inside the tent. However, I do fear the wind. The tent that I have - a huge canopy tent large enough to fit an army of people - makes for an outstanding sail. Last year, I had to pull the station down early on Sunday because the winds started to pickup (and Sunday contesting was a bit on the slow side).

So far, no show stoppers. Didn't really make good progress on preparing this weekend, but will tackle it each day after work this week.

10. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, in Breckenridge and Leadville Colo it's been 26 the last few days so the Aspens are turning!!!