The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What did you think of the comment that if you don't like it then don 't participate? Kinda like having a road rally on a busy road that you use all the time and being told to just stay off the road if you don't like it. After all, it's not against the law! BTW, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of activity on 30 meters from my perspective. However, as I previously stated, it won't bother me whether they have their QSO party, as long as courtesy is used and CW operations are respected and not encroached upon.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Sam. You don't have to explain yourself. Some people here complain just because thats all they know how to do, despite the lack of reason and rationality. Your club is great and the promotion of an otherwise silent 30 meter band is an excellent idea.

3. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be interesting to "see the band full", as I have yet to see that. I would love to see a panadapter screen-shot of 30M, or any band, full at any time. I've made the same request in similar threads, and have yet to see anything to support "full band" assertions.

Maybe this will be the one...

4. W5WN

Then maybe you should first post an empty band screenshot during peak propagation hours using a good antenna. Activity is largely dependent on geographical location. I'm pretty sure it looks quite a bit different on a South Pacific island, somewhere in Asia or on the extreme eastern or western part of the US.

5. N8MSA

Sure. Attached is a screen shot of a Flex Radio Signature Series 6700 on a SteppIR DB-18E at about 70 ft above ground, in bi-directional mode and taken about five minutes ago. I think that I have 10 dB of attenuation applied.

30M.jpg

By the way...the green band in the middle are my neighbor's "grow lights"; they're on about 75% of any given day. The joys of an urban radio hobbyist...

Also...a quick check of of my Skimmer (a QS1R on an elevated mag loop) on the RBN (http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=N8MSA&t=de) shows two receptions in the last hour, and there was at the time of this writing one (1) 30M spot on DX Watch (filtered for de=zone 4).

I'm not advocating contesting on 30M...but the data doesn't support any kind of saturation claim for that, or any other band.

6. W5WN

My waterfall shows 18 stations between 10.115 - 10.150 and it's not even grey line here yet. Antenna used is a 280 ft. loop up 45 ft.

I can't seem to get rid of this old screenshot. I'll try another post. Click on the image for larger size and when the image comes up you can click again for an even larger image.

Attached Files:

7. W5WN

I give up. I can't get the screenshot to the right size for qrz.com. Just click on the thumbnails.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My take on this...
    No problem with encouraging a weekend of digital activity on 30. Hopefully there aren't so many as to infringe on other activities in the small band.
    I am a bit annoyed, however, that its being presented pretty much as a contest format although being called a non-contest. That's not the Gentlemen's Rule for 30. Ramp up digital activity on 30? Go for it.
    Creating a competitive event atmosphere isn't the best way to do that.

9. N8MSA

I don't see 18 distinct signals, and I have a few more right now than I did an hour ago, but...if you had to put a number to that amount of utilization, what would you call that? 10%?

Not trying to pick a fight...I'm just trying understand other's perspectives; I see a largely unused chunk of spectrum, which is what I see on 30M most of the time. Is your perception based on a desire for "elbow room"? Just trying to understand...

10. W5WN

That was not the screenshot with 18 signals (maybe 14 though). I couldn't remove those images to post the correct screenshot. Bottom line is that there was a lot more activity here than you had and that wasn't the screenshot that I wanted to show you a few minutes later. Point is there is no shortage of activity. The band will be full after sundown here. I'm not arguing for more space, just that so many on here are whining about not having much activity on the band, which just isn't true. And, yes maybe 10 percent utilization. Lots of room to spread out without the congestion of 20 meters. That's a good thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.