ad: AlphaRF-1

The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

And, the people it irritates here in this thread:

* Likely never use the 30M band, and are only complaining because the thread is here
    * If they do use the 30M band, they think they can only hang out in one watering hole, forgetting it's an entire band for digital and CW
    * Complain and whine about everything

The biggest complaint is that it'll make a crowded band. Um, so what? That's a good thing. If you don't like it, turn the VFO and don't participate. I don't think too many people are rock-bound anymore.

2. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're painting with a broad brush and making a lot of assumptions about those irritated or opposed to the "QSO Party". Maybe the band sounds quiet in New York. However, being geographically between the east and west coast and between Canada and Central America, I hear a lot of activity on 30 meters most of the time. You probably don't have the same kind of propagation. For example, propagation to the east for you during daylight hours would extend out into the Atlantic ocean and probably to the arctic to the north. Probably not too many hams or activity in those areas.

As stated in your original post, what QSO parties have you worked on 30 meters that you have enjoyed?

3. KC2UGV

ARRL Century... Another non-contest. And, many of the 30MDG QSO parties they have throughout the year...

4. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks. Nothing going on bothers me, although some seem to get heartburn over the ARRL Century operations on 30 meters. I don't even notice the digital since I'm 99% CW on 30 meters.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't bother me as long as those DIGI @#$%^& #$%^ers stay above 10125 !!!!and don't QRM the CW portion of the band.

6. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

well technically, cw is a digital mode. its either on or off. thats digital. technically.

7. KC2UGV

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's one of those gentlemen agreement things... most digital ops that I know stay above 125 since the CW crowd is in the lower section (like the other bands) ... there are sections where the JT65/9 crowd hang out, the PSK folks have their own little section and the Hellschreiber folks have theirs... mostly. Again just an agreement in general to share the band and have fun. Really 30m is a fun band to work digital modes. Just my 2¢.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. EA3CIW

EA3CIW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone.

This is EA3CIW, Secretary-General of the European Radio Amateurs' Organization (EURAO), the first one who calls for the Party on December 20-21, 2014, with the motto: “be digital, explore 30m”. More info here: http://www.eurao.org/en/node/639

This is our fith Party. Something that our members and supporters ask for in the poll we made last year (http://www.eurao.org/en/node/517). Each Party has been devoted to a different topic, without any problem.

But, being warned of this forum and some discrepancies appeared here, we read carefully all comments in this thread and we are quite surprised by the reaction.

Different opinions and feelings are always great. Suggestions are also welcome. And now we really wonder: What is a contest?

It seems there are different criteria, even among you. Maybe my English is not good enough, but for us a contest is a competition, an activity that has winners, perhaps also prizes.

And, in fact, this is NOT the case.

Some say it's a contest because there is scheduling times. Saying “00-24UTC” it's the same as “full weekend in Europe”, but much easier to translate to the 8 languages (!) that are written the misnamed “rules” (other source of controversy, these are not orders, just some clues or pieces of advice where to find people in a specific mode, for instance).

Others say it's a contest because logs are required. It's not true, they are not mandatory for participation, but we kindly ask for it in order to have some statistics info after Party. Logs in a standard format like ADIF have almost all data to get statistical information by computer processing. In this case: how many different modes are used, which countries participate (info from callsigns prefix), etc. Queries to a databse, nothing else.

Even a few don't like our suggested CQ. What's wrong on it?

Anyway, I hope my words clarify a little bit more the concept of the event, the goal we pursue: promotion and have fun.

Those who don't like the idea, have an easy solution: don't participate. Others are welcome.

Thank you all for this great advertising here of our Party and our Organization.

73 de Sam, EA3CIW

10. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

dam European RITTY has all ready driven North American QRP OPs off of 7040
    and are moving down band

30 meters is a small band
    what we don't need is some kind of digital contest
    filling the band for a weekend

in the stacks
    mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.