The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1AW/x operators have also been very active on 30 meters.

I work 'em just to see how long it takes to bust through the pileups

--I don't submit logs, or give a rat's patoot about the "points."

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From a dictionary -
    "Contest : noun1.a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals, as for a prize.

2.struggle for victory or superiority."

Since this event does not involve any form of competition, it's not a contest. Period. How can you have a contest when no results are tallied?

All forms of organized on-air activity are not contests. This is more of an 'activity night' which is pretty common for under-utilized bands.

3. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

By the dictionary definition, WAS, DXCC, and the ARRL "Centennial QSO Party" all seem to fit. Competition? Check. Prize? Check. Struggle for superiority? Check.

This is why I would like to see a clear, concise definition of a amateur radio contest.

Would anyone like to write a definition? Please?

Danny, W0JMP

4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

What we see in real contests is a required log that must be submitted and cross-checked against other logs, a definitive and final score that is based on on-the-air activity which can be verified, a fixed duration of time (e.g., 12 or 48 hours), and possibly an award for top finishers.

CQWW has all of these things; NAQP has all of these things; All Asia DX has all of these things; Field Day does not; Straight Key Night does not.

5. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

From the European Radio Amateur's Organization website:

http://www.eurao.org/en/node/639

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Logs: for statistic purposes only, we ask participants to submit their logs to party@eurao.org in ADIF format, where the filename should be your callsign (e.g. EA3RKF.ADI).
    There will be no results or league tables, only statistical information about number of QSOs, countries, callsigns, OMs/YLs/Clubs, etc.
    Certificate of Participation: for those sending the log and with a minimum of 10% QSOs confirmed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm struggling to see how this can be construed as a contest.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine, Dave. Have it your way. I respectfully disagree with you and we'll leave it at that.

However: When the inevitable complaints come in from The Usual Suspects about the "contest", during the 48 hours that this "non-contest" operating activity takes place... just make sure you point out to the complainers that this is not a devious or nefarious plan by Contesters to Take Over 30 Meters -- as the accusations no doubt will allege, in some form or another -- but was just a fun activity by these groups to spur activity.

It just happened to sound like a contest, and be run like a contest, and request logs like a contest, and offer a "prize" upon log verification like a contest, and will print results like a contest. But it's not a contest. Gotcha.

7. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't irritate people. 30M is quite often very silent. I enjoy the QSO parties on 30M.

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not being naive. There's no points. No standings board. Nothing that makes a contest a contest, except for log submissions to a central group. Some people are just quick to get their panties in a bunch.

9. KY6M

KY6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally, some activity on a sleepy band...

10. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It already appears to irritate a few who have posted in this thread. 30 meters is rarely silent here. Many times 40 or 20 meters won't have activity due to propogation but there are plenty of stations on 30 meters. What QSO parties have you worked on 30 meters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.