The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless someone already posted and I missed it, how about posting an email address for these organizers

2. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is a contest?

It would be nice to see a clear, concise definition of a contest. Then we could judge if this, or other activities are, in fact a contest.

Would anyone be brave enough to define "contest" in amateur radio terms? I foolishly tried once on another site and am still smarting from the flames...some even burnt through my asbestos underwear!

Danny, W0JMP

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, I think it's the request for logs that drives it over the line to a contest.

In principle I don't see anything wrong with the notion of a group of people getting together and saying "hey, we think there isn't enough [mode/modes] on [band]; let's let's show up there at [date/time] and play", although obviously opinions may vary on whether or not there is enough [mode/modes] on [band].

However, from the description, there are enough contest-like trappings to put this over the line into "contesting".

I enjoy contesting, mind you. However, I also appreciate the WARC bands being contest-free to keep contester vs. anti-contester stress at a somewhat tolerable level.

Kill the log submission and perhaps tone down the suggestions of a specific exchange and it'd be less objectionable (although opinions may vary on that too).

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have absolutely no issue with using 30 meters. I enjoy operating on the band, in my limited operating time these days.

What bothers me is that this is or appears to be a de facto contest, despite long standing good Amateur practice (for darned good reasons, too) to not have organized contest or contest-style events on the band... due to power limitations, mode limitations, and other restrictions that remain on the band, and especially because it is a narrow band that is still shared with other radio services, including government services, in a good bit of the world.

IMHO, that line gets crossed when the organizers request logs, to be used for the purposes of verifying or determining scores or other criteria. In short, so to speak, when you pull out the measuring stick to determine Who's on First... it's a contest.

Were the organizers to just ask for a list of stations you worked... I wouldn't have an issue. Or a list of the minimum number of stations worked to qualify for a Certificate of Participation... I wouldn't have an issue. But when they want logs to cross check other logs, and to compile "statistics" -- is that code for figuring out who had the most QSOs? -- they've gone too far. If this is the casual operating event that they claim they want, there ought to be no reason to gather or compile this information.

And as an active contester, frankly, I don't want to be slapped with a guilt-by-association label when someone who doesn't know the origins of this event uses it to declare that "contesters are contesting on 30 meters".

I'm all for activity on 30, and 12 & 17 as well. But the contest-free bands should remain that way.

5. KD1W

KD1W Ham Member QRZ Page

I respectfully submitted my opinion on their website.

6. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

This seems to be geared heavily towards digital ops and if those modes were my all in all then I would be excited about the possibility of increased activity. Just like how straight key ops get their jollies w/ upcoming SKN events. At the same time I do not understand the log submission and the participation awards. Why is the possibility of the increased digital activity simply not enough ?

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, trying to be objective this is my breakdown of the scene. I am active in all digital modes, belong to HELL, RTTY PSK etc.. every digital group you name it. This groups only claim to fame is they want to make 30 M more active for digital users. I like the concept. Unfortunately if they want to try to get any type of activity together, because it is 30 M only, you are going to be pushing the no contest on 30 rule if anything they do can be contrued even remotely as a contest. Whereas Hell on Wheels, and the other digital groups use the contest bands. So I don't know what the answer is, its technically not a contest , The log submit is optional and for stats. I can tell you that I have never made a digital contact on 30, and I gave up on this group because the band is so dead for digital modes. So that is why its so funny to see the uproar, the band is dead for digital.

"Logs: for statistic purposes only, we ask participants to submit their logs to party@eurao.org in ADIF format, where the filename should be your callsign (e.g. EA3RKF.ADI).

There will be no results or league tables, only statistical information about number of QSOs, countries, callsigns, OMs/YLs/Clubs, etc."

9. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are on the radio to communicate with others who share the goal of having a third party validate successful exchange: you are in a contest. If the grand prize is poop or if everyone just gets a smell for participation: it's still a contest. It still promotes contesting behavior. And people who don't like contests are still subject to contest behavior.

And it's not the contests that we dislike. It's the contest behavior. So renaming your contest is no way to avoid guilt. You still behave in a manner that is disagreeable and are therefore guilty of contesting.

Calling it a Qso party or anything else is acknowledgement of wrong doing.

Again: try to leave some room in the hobby for others.

10. KC9ZHE

KC9ZHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, when they decided to keep stats, they made it a contest.

I wonder if they're deliberately calling it NOT a contest to prove to some authority that they need to keep the 30m band...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.