ad: Flexradio-1

The 30 meters non-contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8MRL, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Points? Is that your only criteria to label them as "contests?" It's not that simple.

They are more akin to the domestic equivalent of a DXpedition.

In any given week, there are a very small number of stations operating from usually 2 different locations (sometimes 3) on a number of band/mode combinations; for example, as this is being written, W1AW/3 DE and W1AW/5 LA. They are not on all (non-WARC/WRC) HF bands at all times. They are working stations to "hand out" their states (or territories or district in a few cases), and in doing so, promoting the ARRL Centennial.

The "points" towards a Centennial Certificate is not the sole or primary reason that they are currently on the air.

And most importantly, you don't have hundreds or thousands of stations working each other.

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" And can somebody please explain to me how the W1AW operations on 17 and 12 are not contests? After all they are handing out points!"

These are " Special Event Stations " like a Lighthouse or Battleship or any DX station. Many special event stations hand out points - for example my contacts with LZ1406SK, LZ1105PIO and LZ1401SET each got me 10 points towards the " Worked all Bulgarian Saints " award.

Now, I will admit that the Centennial points challenge is more of an all band, all year contest but it is low impact.

3. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have written the European Radio Amateurs' Organization and directly asked them to cancel the contest. But I doubt that one voice will make a difference.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a start.

And thank you for following through. So many so often claim that they will do something, but somehow, never get a round to it.

5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing kills 12m propagation like w1aw giving out points. the dx just dries up. the paper chasers come out of the woodwork with their amps cranked to eleven.

pretty frustrating when you can't get away from that behavior.

6. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow,

Why so many complainers about the use of 30M. Is this club keeping you off the air. I fail to see see the problem.

-- "Callsign WH2HAO is member 6187 and has NO awards." --

Oh wait. I'm a member !! I like this club, its fun, so don't be a naysayer, join us !!

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Its going to be interesting what happens on January 2 when they go away.

Will DX pick up, or will the bands just be dead with people complaining but nobody calling CQ?

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't matter what happens as long as they yield that piece of spectrum to those who aren't interested in all that contest silliness.

Call it whatever you want but exchanging 5/9's and giving out points is a contest.

This 30m stuff sounds like more of the same: the people who can't converse need contesting to validate their hobby. And they always want more resources. More bandwidth. More power. More spectrum. More.

It's downright frustrating. Leave a little room in the hobby for others.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps they should skip the Certificate of Participation in order to avoid wallpaper collectors. Otherwise, this is an attempt to stimulate more digital activity on 30. I would have left CW out of that, myself - there is plenty of CW activity on 30 already.

I plan to get on and make a few contacts, and do it like SKN, but on digital modes. I probably won't submit a log except through LOTW.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

make that 2 voices

the European Radio Amateurs' Organization, together with the 30 Meter Digital Group [​IMG], announce a new party on the air, this time with the motto: "be digital, explore 30m". Remember this is not a contest, it is just a radio meeting with a few simple 'rules',

but,............. the 30MDG says this:
    Events sanctioned by 30MDG are solely for the purpose of band activity promotion.

As 10 Mhz (30 Meters) is a WARC band, we do NOT encourage nor permit any form of contesting from, nor by our Members on this band.

if it looks like a duck,..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.