The 2018 AM Rally Results are here !

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WA1QIX, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Which stats do you think are incorrect? I'm fairly sure the points totals are quite accurate. The rig types are very hard to parse out. I use a bit of fuzzy logic to try to get that data. It is free form data, and therefore subject to however it is entered, spelled, etc. And sometimes it's just plain incorrect :cool: Please contact me directly via email - I'm interested in what you've got to say. wa1qix@classeradio.com

That would be great! Regards, Steve

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

It may seem like a subtle difference, but the AM Rally is primarily an operating event and not so much of a contest. The logging and points effort document the vitality of the AM mode, which is both notable and important.

3. WA1QIX

Yup! Couldn't have said it better myself. The logging is important because, as Clark pointed out, it documents just how many people REALLY ARE on good old A.M. Nothing like hard numbers !!

AD5HR likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

what's CM87. Is that a country?

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maidenhead grid square, easier to say than latitude and longitude numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Locator_System

Was mostly used on VHF and higher frequencies.
    JT65 on HF brought it to general use. The ARRL activity for 2018 is "collect all the grids you can".

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I notice my rig was classified as homebrew, when all I actually used was the modified Gates BC transmitter. My contacts were limited to 160m, since I thought that band needed a boost in activity while I was hearing plenty on 75m.

No big deal since my BC1-T is could probably be considered as much homebrew as modified commercial broadcast, given that it's actually a hybrid of two transmitters, the Gates and a Raytheon RA-1000, with the Raytheon audio section rebuilt into the Gates box, along with substantial modifications to the rest of the Gates, even including the cabinet.

7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry I did not keep a log, I could have done a much better job of tracking the many people I worked.
    I think my rig was listed as a dx60 which I do not own.
    A bit more of a contest feel then a round table come and go of past years, but still very good and fun, lots of new people joined in.
    Needs a bit more pre notice on the air and on line to be a huge event I think.
    Larry was responsible for at least half of the activity as it seemed like no one else knew about it till he was on the air working it.

8. WA1QIX

It accurately reflects what someone logged during a contact they had with you. No biggie at all. It's possible that during the conversation it came about that you had modified the transmitter heavily, or maybe even built something in it. Or maybe someone remembered that you have a home brew rig, and it was written down. I've done this sort of thing myself!! It's a very interesting aspect of looking at the log data. At least I find it so. It's fun !

9. KC8ZUL

KC8ZUL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to Steve and the community it was fun as usual. I for one failed in my goal as a true AM'er to come in dead last. I am sure I ranked only 1/2 way on the list of the least power per pound.