ad: DNyberg-1

The 10m splintenna, or "A cautionarie tale for younge hams"

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC3JIN, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, remember. When trimming for SWR, it' s always easier to trim more off than put more on.

Observe my converted CB vertical and weep. The tip was held in by a little hex nut, that I loosened to trim it and then tightened again. This was my mistake - on future trimmings the tip was resting on the nut instead of on the channel bottom and being retained thereby.

My fix was a little nubby of 18AWG from the core of a piece of TV coax (rg58U). Once we got *back* into the ballpark I wrapped it with medical tape.

SWR sits pretty from 28.3 to 29.15..ish.. but I feel a lot more comfortable showing it off as a cautionary tale than a brag :) splinttip.JPG uprightenna.JPG

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solution:
    1. Use a file or grinder to remove chrome layer and expose underlaying copper layer. Be careful as not to go through copper to the base steel.
    2. Solder wire to whip.
    3. Cover solder joint with shrink tubing; dual wall (adhesive) is ideal.

KC3JIN likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You can get a replacement whip.

4. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

good reminder.
    i know i forget sometimes. even with wire antennas. i have to catch myself.

5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Or make your own out of #12 ga wire: put one end in a vise, the other into a drill chuck, twist for a few seconds until straight...voila!
    Brand new whip from the hardware store.

"Splints? Bandages? My antenna doesn't need no stinkin' bandages!"

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Relevant to my interests! Is it the twisting that straightens it?

Many thanks to all for your wisdom. And condolences :)

7. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Takes the kinks right out and makes the wire stiff. Stretching will accomplish the same thing but I always find the drill-vise method easy and expedient.

Jeff

8. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

can you open the base and re-adjust the coil tap... no need to replace the whip..

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is where really strong alligator clips come in handy. The large kind, like those from Justrite will hang on in any wind. Just solder on a piece of stiff wire. I used this when I was doing CW mobile with Hustler whips to load the antenna down into the CW band with the clip on - phone band without it.

KC3JIN likes this.
  10. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where's your antenna stretcher?