Thanksgiving QSL Contest

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NR9R, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NR9R

NR9R Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The idea sounds imteresting for newer licensees. Those licensed a long time may not want any more paper QSL cards. However, the real downside is the criteria for winning. If the number of cards received determines the winner it could be a very expensive contest to win considering the cost of printed cards and postage to mail them.

WG7X likes this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim has it correct.

I have a shelf in the closet full of boxes of QSL's. I will not throw them out because I like them and intend to display the most interesting ones on the wall.

Someday.

When the local interior designer is not looking.

In the meantime, I'm not really looking to add to the collection. LOTW has made the whole confirmation process practically painless. Paper QSLs are a thing of the past.

In my opinion of course. But you did ask!

W4POT and W5WN like this.
  4. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

No they're not. I need to print up some more

WG7X likes this.
  5. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds interesting and positive, and a unique spin on contesting. If Eqsl cards are acceptable then it would be better than having to pay for 500 or whatever QSOs. Could get expensive with all paper QSLs. :(

7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting idea, but will take some time to figure out the winner if some hams are slow replying to QSL requests. There'd have to be a deadline by which to receive QSL's, something like "All received QSL's will be tallied on January 1st, ones received after this date not eligible" or something. Otherwise you might be waiting years to receive all QSL's from these November QSO's.

8. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This would be precedent setting. It would be the first contest that could be won mostly by how much money you spend making contacts and sending paper cards through the U.S. mail. I can see easily spending between $100.00 - $200.00 just to have a chance at winning.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes: Do we really need another contest? Some weekends, there are 4 or 5 of them going at once.

Contests, like everything, are fine and fun, in moderation. But I really don't want ice cream every single day.

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

No. No they are not. Every time someone sends me one I get anxiety. I wish people would stop sending these things. Its like being stalked by a postcard hoarder. I didn't ask for mail. I get plenty of junk mail already. And now some person has mailed me a card with their fingerprints and dna all over it and expects me to reply with a card covered in my fingerprints and dna.

Do hams want communicable diseases? Because this how you get one.

Saliva-backed postage. Body hair. Bits of dander and maybe even pet feces. How can a person with a peanut allergy know with certainty that the pen used to sign the qsl wasn't also used to process nuts?

QSL cards are madness.

WZ7U likes this.