ad: elecraft

Thanks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9ROD, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

With less than a month from having my ticket for a year, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the “Hams” that have made a difference and encourage others to do the same.  I got my ticket on my own without the influence of others…..it was something I wanted to do.  Soon after getting my call (KC0KBD), I applied and got a vanity call sign (K9ROD).  I then became a member of the local “Ham Club”.  About the only talking I did was to check in on the local net.  

Then one day I saw an ad for some tower sections for sale by a local ham.  I needed the tower for my plans and met with the gentleman.  His name was Joseph “Hank” Rael – WA0VTO. This was the start of what was to be a very educational year.  I was invited to “get on “ their repeater anytime.  I found myself calling Hank one day on the way home from work, a 45 min drive.  I then met Pete Cornish, K0KZI, a long time friend of Hank’s.  These gentlemen made me feel right at home in this new area.    Over the next months theses two taught me so much about radio theory, antennas, feed lines.  You name it, these two had the answers for me.  And it didn’t stop there.  Extra equipment that they had laying around the house became mine.  We started a repeater building project together.  They basically took me under their wing and mentored me to the fullest extent possible.  I was also introduced to other hams that shared in the ownership of the repeater we used.  Always a kind word to everyone with a standing invitation to use the repeater anytime.  

I often wonder where my amateur radio experience and interests would be now without their help.  So many thanks to Hank, WA0VTO; Pete, K0KZI, Eric, N0LEI; Carl NE0Z; Jim, KC0GCL; and Bob, WB0GXY.  And to everyone else, let’s keep the sprite alive.  Share your experiences, knowledge, and know-how with others.  Thanks.  Rod K9ROD

2. KV4DZ

KV4DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FB Rod,
    Thats a great feeling to get support from fellow "Elmers".
    I remember a friend of mine, Manson WA4TIL who took me "under his wing" and spent his time and effort helping me to increase my code speed,...for months.

Art KD4JY elmer in tube rigs and amps.
    Jim K4EDK AM elmer
    Barry KE4NOE who elmerd me in packet.
    Jim K4VVV elmer in HF.
    Larry WB8SKV elmer in antenna theory.

The list goes on and on.

Thats what the hobby is all about.
    Ask the "elmers" while you still can, sit down, strap in, and shuddap.(hi). It's a lifetime of info for the asking.

KV4DZ

3. VE6BUD

VE6BUD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the one thing that I really admire about this
    hobby.

There's a lot of theory involved in just getting a station
    up and running. Even just to get on the air below 144
    Mhz, you need to know a considerable amount of
    antenna theory just to get a decent signal out. (It's not
    as simple as a long wire and an antenna tuner if you
    don't want to create lots of RFI and TVI, as I found out
    the hard way&#33[​IMG]

I have to admire Hams like John Kirk, Ex-VE6XT now
    VK2PV. He took the time to build me a code oscillator,
    lend me his straight key and even lend me a 12 volt
    power supply so I could start out on VHF. The first
    thing he did was Fix a broken Eico 753 so I could at
    least listen on 80, 40 and 20 metres.

That's how I got started. This is what differentiates us
    from other hobbies. My kudos goes out to all of the
    hams that took the time to teach me everything I
    needed to know and more!

I am even suprised at how some hams I've talked to
    over E-Mail can make each reply balloon up by 20 k each
    time I respond because they are very willing to suggest
    things and give a hand, even though they live halfway
    across the world from me. [​IMG]

The internet has opened up the world and with that,
    perhaps it can expand this hobby in ways that we never
    even drempt of! [​IMG]

4. kf4gmh

kf4gmh Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Oh who needs repeaters (JUST KIDDING) Boy, this is a true SLAP IN THE FACE to all you guys who think you are to good to reply to the new guy who wants to use the "local repeater" because you have never heard "him" before or "he" is not a "member of the club" or you just see no need to reply to see who "he" even may be. Have fun using your local repeater. After all, fun is what it's all about!(He also applies to "she")

5. KG4RAY

KG4RAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my license in Janurary, and I have to say that in my experiance the local Hams have been great! Everyone I've talked to has been excited to talk to me and has tried to help me in some way. KD4WOV spent about 45 minutes one night trying to find a repeater that we could both hit, and it turned out to be a great QSO :)

I've spent a lot of time with Unix/Linux, and it's very different. The Amateurs on the radio are almost always ready to help as long as you are polite. I was kind of worried about maybe getting some RTFM responces, but I haven't gotten a single one. I can't say how encouraging it all is and how encouraging everyone has been towards me. I read here and elsewher that the hobby is dying/turning rotten/catching on fire/etc. That's not the case at all. There are some of us of the younger generation that are joining; I'm 18 and trying to recrute all my friends... They hobby isn't dying, it's still strong and will continue to be so. I'm excited to be learning code, I'm just a No-Code tech, but The IRLP has excited me about getting on HF.

Thanks Tom, Tom, and everyone else :)

--Josh

6. W4KP

W4KP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree whole heartedly!  Ham radio is just another hobby without the "Elmers" who show us how things are done.
    I remember all those who helped me get started:  KC4DQW, KC4PDG, K4GFY, and many others.  I, too, have received spare equipment to be able to get a station up and running.
    This is also a good reminder to us all about the "new guy on the repeater."  Get in there, talk to him.  Make him feel at home.  Invite him/her to the club.  He/she may have some skills of their own to bring to the table when it comes to setting up a field day station.
    Also, don't be a "know it all."  This past week, some people from our local club traveled to Lexington to sit in on a skywarn meeting.  And wouldn't you know, on the other side of the room sits a know-it-all all tipped back in his chair, just busting at the seams to show how much he thought he knew, interrupting the instructor.

We can share our information, and not try to make people feel silly at the same time.  Get out there and help.
    Good post!  Keep 'em coming!
    Tim
    W4KP [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.