Thanks USPS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1SZO, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Table of Contents:
    "K1SZO repairs and rebuilds the recent QEX magazine"

K1SZO and N0TZU like this.
  2. KD2L

KD2L Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was younger, the father of a classmate was postmaster of a local post office. He was defensive of the postal service any time someone had a complaint. Following his retirement he was employed in the mailroom of a large company. You should have heard him then once he was the customer.

WD4IGX and K9DWB like this.
  3. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're wrong about that. They call it a quasigovernment agency, when in fact the USPS hasn't been part of the Government since 1971 when the post office department was disbanded. The USPS is an independant company, but is controlled by the Postal Regulatory Commision (wikipedia). That commision controls what they can charge, how many people they can employ, and what they have to pay that would drive any other company out of business. They receive no tax dollars they are required by law to be financially self sustaining. They do in fact have lots of competition for shipping, UPS, Fedex, DHL. The only place they don't have competition is in letter mail. UPS, Fedex , DHL would like to get in on the letter trade, but you wouldn't want to pay the price. It costs the same to deliver a letter accros the street as it does any where in the country.

I once saw a video at work, where the postal carrier that delivers mail to people that live on the river in the grand canyon, procedes on his route by boat. Can you imagine what UPS, Fedex would charge for that. Heck some times UPS and the others don't even want to deliver to someone that lives in the country, so they drop it off at the Post Office, and USPS does the last mile.

So in fact, they privatized it in 1971, but kept control.

73, and have a good day.
    Chuck, N0NC

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    WD4IGX, KJ4KPW and KN4LGM like this.
  4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordered a SSD drive from New egg on Dec 10...it arrived yesterday...via usps

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did it arrive as if it were purchased from Ikea? :eek::D:p

K9DWB likes this.
  6. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

So it is a government-controlled company, the TVA is also a private company yet is under complete government control and has a monopoly in its area. So yes I was wrong, the difference is small. And if "what they can charge, how many people they can employ, and what they have to pay" is not direct control I don't know what is.

They do not receive any tax dollars directly, they do however receive tax credits and other indirect forms of subsidise.

They do have lots of completion in package delivery, however, you have probably noticed that when you make an order from amazon it gives you the choice of what carrier you want them to ship with. USPS is the cheapest but does not have a guarantee for delivery dates, if you want to get fast reliable shipping you don't choose USPS. And as for letters and similar mail by federal law, a private mail carrier must charge at least 3 dollars per piece of mail. So the USPS is a federally protected monopoly!

Does it not seem that it should cost a different amount to deliver a letter to the place across the street than in the valley on the Grand Canyon? If it costs a company more money to deliver a piece of mail to a certain place it should cost the consumer more to send it to that place. "Heck some times UPS and the others don't even want to deliver to someone that lives in the country, so they drop it off at the Post Office, and USPS does the last mile." because it is cheaper for the other company, if it raises there profit they should do it!

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism by Robert P. Murphy is a wonderful book that I would highly suggest to anyone who cares to learn more. https://www.amazon.com/Politically-...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1610579128&sr=1-1

73, Jonny.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it was not delivered in "kit" form...hahaha

WZ7U likes this.
  8. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

My sister sent me a package Dec. 17, it arrived the 1164 miles twenty days later. It averaged 58 mi/day. It took roughly twice as long as the Pony Express took for a similar distance.

K9DWB and K0UO like this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Answer - COVID

Late arriving? COVID

Lost in Transit? COVID

It's a great cover/excuse for everything wrong....

N5AF, WD4IGX, K9DWB and 2 others like this.
  10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KN4LGM likes this.