Thanks Tuk

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K3MRI, Jan 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3MRI

K3MRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Extra, adventure biker, military pilot and apparently now fundraiser and philanthropist... This Spring (2018) I'll be headed for Tuktoyaktuk in the Northwest Territories. It's not a formal DXpedition, but I will be operating from Tuk on any band that's open. I'll be spotting and will give details when the time comes.

In the meantime, I have a favor to ask of my fellow Hams, especially those of us who ride/drive to remote locations. The Arctic Ocean hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk, in Canada's Northwest Territories, is about to be invaded by adventurers and tourists now that the Dempster Highway (gravel) has finally been finished. The road from Dawson City through Eagle Plains and Inuvik up to 'Tuk' is now complete. I was trying to figure out to help them meet the challenge of so many new visitors without adequate infrastructure. In collaboration with the Tuktoyaktuk City Council, I've mounted a unique fundraising campaign for them and would appreciate any support you can give.

To get all the details, please visit http://gofundme.com/thankstuk

73s

K3mri

[​IMG]

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a blast.....now that Dempster's open, I guess I'm running out of excuses. :)

3. K3MRI

Not sure if you've ever been up that way but it's a bucket list trip! Hope you make it up... why not this year ;-) ?? 73s Jim

4. K3MRI

Never mind, just checked you out, you're in AK!! LOL... silly me!!

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been to Barrow a few times....just a few steps east to Tuk..... :)

K3MRI likes this.
  6. K3MRI

Just did the math, I leave for Tuk in exactly 100 days! Wow! In the meantime, I would be so grateful if you can support the Thanks Tuk campaign at http://gofundme.com/thankstuk

For those who are interested in gear, I'll be going up with a Yaesu 891, an Alpha no tune vertical antenna, an 80 doublet that I can throw up while I'm in the Rockies and all of this is powered by two 35AH lithium batteries and solar panels. I'll post pictures in a few days when I do a shakedown setup.

7. K3MRI

First fundraising weekend done. $700 raised. Long ways to go. Thank you to the QRZ Forum Members who donated. Hope others will follow. 73s. K3MRI.

8. K3MRI

A Big Thank You to fellow officer, pilot and HAM, Alan Doi, W4DOI, for his support. Thank you Alan.

9. K3MRI

A shout out to Paul, K3MZ, for his support of the Thanks Tuk campaign. Thanks Paul!!!! Make sure you answer my CQ from VE8!!

10. K3MRI

I have some good news to share about the Thanks Tuk campaign...