Thanks all!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI7HLR, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI7HLR

KI7HLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't posted in this subforum before, so hello everyone!
    I'd just like to say thank you for all the positive encouragement from the posts saying to just keep practicing!
    I got my license about 4 years ago, and had (according to LCWO) a small string of attempts at learning morse, but I gave up after not too long.

As part of me being interested in HF and ham radio in general (primarily after the Oregon wildfires that had me sweating a bit), I picked up learning Morse again, and yesterday I made it over 90% accuracy on LCWO's lesson 40! Now the real learning can begin!!

Hopefully I did my LCWO lessons fast enough that it's formed a good base for me in general, but I do want to start getting my overall speed to match the character speed (so bringing my 10wpm up to the 35wpm character speed to match). I've also been doing some of the word practices after my main lesson to help get the feel of what normal words sounds like instead of random 2-7 character groups.

And now I'll be picking up a J-38 hopefully this afternoon to give myself something tactile to begin sending practice...always more items in radio it seems!

Just a bit of rambling for this morning, but wanted to get it out there.
    Thanks again!
    Dan
    KI7HLR

W5BIB, K3XR, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! Take a look at the Long Island CW Club or the CW Academy online classes. I've done both, and I think having an instructor helps you avoid some pitfalls. Just keep practicing, and pushing your speed up a little bit at a time. Even if you only plan on doing 20 wpm it helps to listen at 30 wpm.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job but with a name like Dan how can you go wrong?:D

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations! I will second the advice to look into CW Academy or LICW. Also if you are interested in straight keys check out SKCC, with your J-38 and 10WPM you are ready to get on the air and start making quick and easy SKCC Contacts!

N7BKV likes this.
  5. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.THANKS WAIT WHAT.jpg

KI7HLR likes this.
  6. KI7HLR

Thanks everybody! I got a cable soldered up and connected between the FT-891 and the J-38 last night.
    I know what the letters are supposed to sound like, but it's surprisingly tough to key it correctly. I'm sure that will come with time, though.
    Current goal is to keep with the copying lessons, slowly making the real speed match the character speed, and listening to stations on websdr in the background to keep familiarity up.

Also, LICW or CW Academy are oft-recommended, so I may need to look into those more closely. I'm sure you hear it a lot, but ideally I could ragchew at a reasonable pace with headcopy, but that's likely years away. Good to have a goal though!!

7. KI7HLR

Finally got my first cw contact! Just across town, but still cool nonetheless! Thanks again Steve, K7SF

Hopefully chat with you all on CW too!

-Dan

AD5RX and K3XR like this.