ad: Alphaant-1

Thank you AGAIN Joe Taylor.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT8_DXpedition_Mode.pdf

This will kill the other digital modes and will finish off CW.

Plenty a DXpeditions will appear, people on vacation destinations with semi or not rare prefixes, each on their own Fox frequency away from ‘normal’ FT8 frequencies. For the same some or many will become a fox with their home call for everyday work;

FT8 contests will now with near 100% certainty be organized meaning that more designated spectrum of the other modes will be hijacked;

People without SDR’s won’t be able to operate in the 2700 up to 4000 Hz spectrum;

Ultimately what keeps one away from fox not answering 5 stations but e.g. 10 or more stations at the same time provided one has a performant PC and an SDR? I assume nothing.
    Some day may be not you but certainly someone else will break the open/not open code and provide that 10 or more station answering at the same time ability. All hell will then even more break loose on the bands;

With FT8 Dxpedition's QSO rates I predict that even SSB activity will suffer.

The high QSO rates (5 or 10+) over other modes will be favoured by DXpeditioners, more income from QSL cards, instant LoTW uploads and donations.

Physics scientist and Nobel prize winner or not, I’d say think first doctor then act.

PS
    To the point and on-topic replies please. For the hate mailers if you feel the urge, honestly I couldn't care less.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    W4RAV likes this.
  2. W6GMT

W6GMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This prediction of the end of radio is been going on forever AM versus the new SSB, Know Code NO Code the hobby changes. The new always upsets people . There were even hate pieces about the change away from Spark Gap for a supposedly cutting edge hobby we sure drag our feet .

KG4DLI, KI6USW, AA5AT and 2 others like this.
  3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This looks sweet!

4. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I work SSB, CW, and even an occasional AM QSO. I still do PSK, RTTY, JT65, and now FT8. I will utilize whatever mode is out there. Just another tool for the job at hand.

After FT8-DXpedition mode kills off all of the other modes you can still QSO with me. I will still be there.

Jim

W4RAV likes this.
  5. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Ham Member QRZ Page

The code is Open Source. Anyone with the relevant coding skill can hack and modify the WSJT-X code as they see fit....

I am going to hack this code to remove the grid designation and replace it with a $ code between 00 and 99. If you want a QSO with me, you need to indicate how much you're willing to bid! I'll complete the QSO for the 'high-rollers' first, but not upload to LOTW if I don't see your $99 on my Paypal account......

Bid just $01 and you're at the end of the QSO list.......

(To stress - the above is my British Sense of Humour! But who knows what might happen in the next version of code)

K4AGO, AC0TP, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone already has

http://www.qrz.lt/ly3bg/JTDX/jtdx.html

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So I take it that the OP doesn’t care much for the new mode? Or that people seem to be having fun with it?

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its his #hateJoeTaylor mission.

N0TZU and W4NNF like this.
  9. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get bent. To the point enough?

W4NNF and WN6U like this.
  10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is just another mode. Joe Taylor is not the savior of amateur radio or the incarnation of the devil. I understand the original poster's concerns, but I do not think that it is a CW killer, SSB killer or anything like that. I, for one, will be working people on CW and SSB until I die or am just too old to care anymore. I made my one contact on FT8 and it did absolutely nothing for me. Other people may think it's the greatest thing ever. If DXpeditions use it exclusively someday, I won't be working any DXpeditions, I guess. CQ CQ de KQ9J K

KN1M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.