TH-9800 Receives Simplex only on left side...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K7AXT, May 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7AXT

K7AXT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a new TYT TH-9800. It works excellent on the right side, but the left will not output any audio on repeaters, only on simplex. I can see it is receiving, just can't hear any audio. This only happens on repeaters with offset. Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure the squelch has been properly configured, specifically tone squelch (PL/CTCSS)? If you have tone squelch enabled on receive (as well as on transmit, which is the more common setup) and the repeater does not pass the squelch tone on your receive frequency then the tone squelch will not open the audio since the tone was not heard.

Many repeaters require a PL tone on their input (your transmit), but not all repeaters pass that tone through to their output (your receive). On your radio you can enable PL tones on your output only, or for both the input and output.

You will also wish to ensure that your repeater offset, and whether it is positive or negative are properly setup for the band you are operating on. There are also some repeaters with very non-standard offsets to watch out for.

Additionally, on some dual VFO mobile radios, some configuration parameters may be unique to which VFO is in use, so you may need to review all your settings on each VFO side to find out what is different between the two sides.

I do not have your radio, so I can not offer you anything more specific than the above suggestions, though it is my understanding that your radio is somewhat of a knockoff of my FT-8900 but how true of a knockoff I am not certain..

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check hearing in left ear?:)

4. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Although in jest, it does raise another possibility if the rear speaker out jack has been used as, depending upon how the radio is configured or designed, an issue with the rear speaker jack could possibly disable the speaker for one VFO side only, *if* your radio normally directs audio to the left or right channel depending upon which VFO is receiving (some may). It may be worth plugging in an auxiliary speaker or headset to see if audio is present at the speaker jack and just not reaching the speaker.

5. KB0WLF

KB0WLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KG6BAJ

KG6BAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found your issue and it's a firmware bug on the left side RX tone.

If you program an RX tone (or DPL) into a channel, and listen on that channel from the left side of the radio, the radio will NOT UN-MUTE when receiving on that channel. But, if you switch to the right side and go to the same channel and listen on the that channel from the right side, the radio WILL un-mute when receiving a signal.

This assumes you did program the correct rx tone/code.

I should also note I found what I believe to be a useless feature, in feature code #29 "SPK" for RECEIVING tones. This feature will let you program a channel to either receive in "SQ" (Carrier Squelch) or "CTC" (Tone/code squelch). I thought this was useless, because after all, that is primarily what feature #31 (Tone M) does when set to either "ENC" only or "ENC.DEC".

You could use either feature #31 set to "Encode Only".... OR ..... feature #29 set to "SQ", so when scanning from the left side, you will hear transmissions that carry a tone. Either of these settings would by-pass the RX-tone.

BUT !!!!.... That's just not how this radio should work. In the end, it's flat out a firmware bug not un-muting the left side of the radio when you set it to do so.

I saw your post was from 2016, and the time of my posting it's only 11 days from 2019, and this bug is still not corrected in the firmware. :-(