ad: MLSons-1

Tethering Bitcoin to WSJT for Network Resilience

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

These new digi-modes, originally inspired and developed by and for amateur radio and scientific pursuits, may have other significant professional applications.

"This past weekend at the Scaling Bitcoin 2017 conference at Stanford University, two individuals discussed a new method of providing the Bitcoin network with more censorship resistance by utilizing weak signal radio communications. Stanford University’s Elaine Ou (KM6NCF) and the computer scientist, Nick Szabo, introduced a project they are testing which secures consensus proofs with weak signal radio propagation."

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-and-weak-signals-bypass-network-censorship-with-radio/

73 de John - WØPV

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    KA2PTE, KV6T, KD0WQP and 1 other person like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

After making the OP I browsed a bit more on the topic and learned that for several years amateur radio has been a focal point of the blockchain crypto currency movement. See example on link below. Quite a bit of discussion on Reddit and elsewhere too. If you want to see even more, Google is your friend.

http://kryptoradio.koodilehto.fi/

Of course current FCC Part 97 rules and regs regarding encryption and commercial activity could be a stumbling block in the USA, but its fascinating to see such innovative interest in and experimentation with using AR.

With all the recent hoopla from ARRL about integrating EMCOMM hams with FirstNet, this type of grass-roots prepper backup of an individuals future day-to-day finances may be just as or even more significant "when all else fails".

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    KD0WQP likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fascinating! Thanks for posting this article.

The talk starts around 01:23:00 in the video linked in the article.

Overall I would say "pretty good for a first crack" but everything in the prototype can be vastly improved.

I don't think there's any issues about encryption, because the message is the bit coin hash, which is just a number and can be handled as plaintext.

NU4R likes this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantasy,Biitcoin uses gigaflops of data throughput to function. I don't think 13 characters per transmission will quite cut it.

KA2PTE and NX6ED like this.
  5. K6CLS

Take the time to watch the video, all that is addressed. And it's not a 13 character protocol. Duh.

AG5DB and NU4R like this.
  6. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever download a ledger? It takes quite a while. Why wou'd this assist at all?

7. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-8 = Message length: 75 bits + 12-bit CRC

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Below is a link directly to the presentation video embedded in the OP article and referenced by others. It's five hours total (!) but the most HR relevant part is only about 30 minutes long, although you may want to look at more of it to better understand the application.

Start at 1:31:20 for the intro by the guy, then Elaine takes over at about 1:37:10 to talk about the protocol and signal processing. The guy comes back and concludes with the end at about 1:58:00.

KD0WQP and K6CLS like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Commercial financial transactions over amateur radio?

A blazing red flag that invites governments around the world to cancel amateur radio privileges.

N8UMW, NX6ED and K3RW like this.
  10. K6CLS

They are not using any JT modes.

Again, watch the video and get informed before making comments.

KM4JGC likes this.
  11. K6CLS

That's addressed in the presentation.

12. K6CLS

Yep! But it doesn't have to run over amateur frequencies, could be commercial frequencies. They used amateur frequencies (70cm!) For the prototype only.

13. KA0HCP

Yes. There is now a mandatory 5 hour delay between reading the original post before members will be allowed to reply, to allow them time to watch the video!!!

K6CLS likes this.
  14. K6CLS

Sorry everyone for going on about it. I'm not defending their ideas (I think some of it is terrible). But I was reacting to the ignorant speculation, now I'm wondering what web site is this, Slashdot?!??

Ok I'll take a 5 hour moritorium from QRZ. maybe go outside with an HT..

15. KA0HCP

It is rather silly to post a five hour lecture with minimal explanation and expect people to watch it before commenting. shrug.

WU8Y likes this.